What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:07 am
    ----
Hi everyone, What is this on the Tube? nightscope? Subcaliber? Thanks, This is more Knox in the old days.......

#2: Re: What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:16 am
    ----
I KNOW, I KNOW! That was the propane gun used as a "bang" simulator. If I'm not mistaken, that's the one on the Shermie there on the parade ground in in front of my old home in front of the old Armor Board across from Waybur Theatre at Ft. Knox. The tank is still there, but the propane thingy is removed now...but it was there when I was.

Thanks for the pic!

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:17 am
    ----
I believe that is a saluting cannon - I had heard before there just such a thing on the parade field Sherman back in the day...

Neil

#4: Re: What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:26 am
    ----
you guys are good, this old sailor didn't know......

#5: Re: What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:42 am
    ----
"Old days"....Haaruumph!

"Saluting cannon"...thanks, Neil....the precise term escaped me.

This is a piece from a DONTOS pic I editted down that shows the same piece today with what was the Armor Board in the background (now Armor Ctr. HQ or whatever). They used to boom this thing off in the evenings at retreat when they lowered the flag and played that awful recorded music over the loudspeakers. Once I got an apartment off post (a big deal for single EM's in '72) I didn't get that treat much anymore. Prior to that, I bunked in the third floor of that building. The current CO's office on the first floor was our "day room".

#6: Re: What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal? Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:07 pm
    ----
Gunfire simulator M4 (I believe that's the right M-number). Used in maneuvers, etc for simulating tank gunfire in the late 60's thru 1970's. As stated, the complete unit has a pack with two gas cylinders - 1 oxygen, the other acetylene. The were valved into the firing chamber in correct proportion and ignited to produce gunfire blast and noise. The firing chamber was clamped to the main gun tube, the cylinders (usually in a rectangular box) were seen on the left front of the turret.

#7: Re: What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:15 pm
    ----
- binder001
Gunfire simulator M4 (I believe that's the right M-number). Used in maneuvers, etc for simulating tank gunfire in the late 60's thru 1970's. As stated, the complete unit has a pack with two gas cylinders - 1 oxygen, the other acetylene. The were valved into the firing chamber in correct proportion and ignited to produce gunfire blast and noise. The firing chamber was clamped to the main gun tube, the cylinders (usually in a rectangular box) were seen on the left front of the turret.

I stand corrected, thought it was propane...never saw the cylinders and made an assumption. Knew it was gas, though. Never saw one used as a gunfire simulater, either, but then...we were in the throes of working with the "Simfire" system at the time:

#8: Re: What is this on the Tube? Nightscope? Sub cal? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:53 pm
    ----
Mostly used as gunfire simulators - One in use on an M60 (despite the filaname) at Graf....

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board