Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 am
    ----
Neil - What kind of turret doe sthe M3 Diesel in the Aberdeen warehouse have? I'm at work and my pictures are at home

#17: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:43 am
    ----
Okay Neil
start making like Sherlock Holmes. Here is the one at Aberdeen in 1979

where is it today?

Jeff Lewis

#18: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:23 pm
    ----
That would appear to be "Sad Sack," but I dont have any pics of it at photobucket or handy right now. Will have to see when I get home - although it has a much higher serial number (2704) than would seem to be appropriate... Unless the turret was switched out at some point, which would not be surprising at all...

Neil

#19: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:59 pm
    ----
I agree that looks like Sad Sack ( The Diesel) which would answer my question. Not sure about serial numbers but it being a diesel may confuse things

#20: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:18 pm
    ----
I have pics of one on my site:
M3 Stuart

It's located at Camp San Luis Obispo in California. It's former range target that was recovered from Camp Roberts and is now part of a Bataan Memorial.

#21: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:19 pm
    ----
Okay, now I see the difference - here is an all-riveted turret (albeit mostly hidden) at Huntsville AL.

Neil

#22: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:26 pm
    ----
Perhaps this will help a little....

Zoomed in on Neils Pic

Don

#23: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:24 pm
    ----
- Dontos
AJ2

One (of the early models) is in decent condition, and there was talk (a couple of years ago, when it arrived) of restoring it with USMC markings, since it was the type that was used in the Pacific Theater.

Don

Maybe a better restoration would be to the 1941-42 time period with marking for either the 192nd or 194th Tank Battalion. Both of these units used this type tank in combat against the Japanese on Bataan. Both units were destroyed and the men that survived suffered for 3 years in Japanese POW camps. Just a thought

#24: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:06 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
- Dontos
AJ2

One (of the early models) is in decent condition, and there was talk (a couple of years ago, when it arrived) of restoring it with USMC markings, since it was the type that was used in the Pacific Theater.

Don

Maybe a better restoration would be to the 1941-42 time period with marking for either the 192nd or 194th Tank Battalion. Both of these units used this type tank in combat against the Japanese on Bataan. Both units were destroyed and the men that survived suffered for 3 years in Japanese POW camps. Just a thought

Excellent Idea. This particular vehicle is not the one that I had mentioned above. This ones markings are authentic, and have some possible linkage with GSP. It is only a shell, and would require significant 'dedicated' funding for a full restoration.

Dedicated funding which currently doesn't exist. With the many ongoing projects and the lack of sufficient funds for all the actively ongoing projects, difficult choices have to be made.

The other vehicle was not like this one, but was the type that the USMC used in the Pacific. It was merely an idea which never really got off the ground. Perhaps someday though.

I do like your idea for the M3, AJ2. Hmmmmm, who knows. Mr. Green

Regards
Don

#25: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:56 am
    ----
Hello all, I'm sure this is a very generic M3 but I thought I'd post it anyways. I snapped these pictures today at the 1ST CAV museum. I plan to return this weekend and get the serial number and I will soon have the history on it as well. There are 2-3 more of these but they are at the 4th ID museum. I'll have to find my info and pictures of them. Enjoy....

#26: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:07 am
    ----
jeff see the turret?

-> AFV News Discussion Board