Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #2
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #2 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:56 pm
    ----
This view of base housing was taken from the original main gate on Stithton Circle looking east along Chaffee Avenue . This is the Main Cantonment area and was constructed during the period 1933-1940

The housing units were in the Georgian Colonial Revival style and the plans for these were created by the Army Quartermaster Corps.

The Leader's Club. This was the original officer's mess known by us as "The Brick Mess", and it was built in 1934. It's on Chaffee Avenue in the Main Cantonment area. This view is looking east from 13th Cavalry Avenue.

Historical marker by the Armor Center Headquarters building.

The Armor Center Headquarters building on Chaffee Avenue in the Main Cantonment area. This was known as the Administration Building and was completed in 1934 at a cost of $67,112.65.

Looking east at the end of Chaffee Avenue towards the flagpole and monument area on the main parade ground known as Brooks Field.

The M4A3(76)W HVSS in Creighton Abrams' markings. When I was at Knox in 1967 this tank played an important role in the 1700 hours Retreat ceremony: the turret was manually cranked 180 degrees from west to east and the main gun was fired. Anyone know if this is still the case?

A view towards the west of Chaffee Avenue.

Another view towards the west of Chaffee Avenue with the HQ building on the left.

The post theatre is visible off the bow of the M4A3E8 and was completed in 1938.

The flagpole circle is surrounded by monuments to each WWII armored division. Here's one for the 3rd and it's typical of the others.

"What! The Aero Scouts drank all the beer?"
(Sorry, Doug.......heheheh)
The building across Brooks Field on the left is the old base hospital. Construction started in 1933 and was completed in 1935. A new wing was added in 1940.

#2: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #2 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:20 pm
    ----
- A-109E

The M4A3(76)W HVSS in Creighton Abrams' markings. When I was at Knox in 1967 this tank played an important role in the 1700 hours Retreat ceremony: the turret was manually cranked 180 degrees from west to east and the main gun was fired. Anyone know if this is still the case?

They were still doing that in '71-'73, with the "salute gun" that is featured in a close-up in another thread here in this forum, Look familiar? Laughing

com-central.net/index....amp;t=6989

Say, that building beyond the flagpole to the right sure looks familar...what the heck could that be?! Mr. Green

(and you neglected to mention Waybur Theatre, that appears in one of your pics...saw many a flic in there..."Chino" was one of them. Saw "Godfather" and "American Graffiti" over at Olive Theatre)

#3: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #2 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:32 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
(and you neglected to mention Waybur Theatre, that appears in one of your pics...saw many a flic in there..."Chino" was one of them. Saw "Godfather" and "American Graffiti" over at Olive Theatre)

No I didn't! No I didn't! Razz Well, I didn't know the name was Waybur Theatre, but I did point it out as being beyond the bow of the M4A3E8. So there! Mr. Green

#4: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #2 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:44 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

They were still doing that in '71-'73, with the "salute gun" that is featured in a close-up in another thread here in this forum, Look familiar? Laughing

Hmmm, lotsa hardware on that barrel is unfamiliar. Shocked

Here's what I remember. Laughing

-> AFV News Discussion Board