Wikipedia APG photographs
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:01 am
    ----
APG photographs : Wikipedia Commons

#2: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:27 pm
    ----
Which reminds me that the theme for the main competition at the local modelling club this year is 'Rusting away at Aberdeen'

Slightly unfair I thought...

Cool

#3: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:06 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Which reminds me that the theme for the main competition at the local modelling club this year is 'Rusting away at Aberdeen'

Slightly unfair I thought...

Cool

Don't get me started Evil or Very Mad

I'll just say that there has been more progress in the last 7 years than probably the 20 before that. I'm hoping the next time I go up there I will get pictures of the Firefly in it's new paint scheme.

I just hope the progress will continue with the changes in leadership coming this fall

#4: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:45 pm
    ----
Just out of interest Bob.

How much does it cost to get a display item cleaned up at Aberdeen? I had been putting some of the web site subscription fees to one side for a donation to the new building at Aberdeen but it looks like that will not happen now? Might as well use it for something...

Cool

#5: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:23 pm
    ----
[quote="bsmart"]
....Don't get me started Evil or Very Mad

I'll just say that there has been more progress in the last 7 years than probably the 20 before that. [\quote]

....Same here Bob, except progress has been monumental for the past 3 years (or so) than previously.....

Much is obvious, however some is behind the scenes. All on a 'shoe string' budget, which seems to shrink over the years.

Don

#6: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:00 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

How much does it cost to get a display item cleaned up at Aberdeen? I had been putting some of the web site subscription fees to one side for a donation to the new building at Aberdeen but it looks like that will not happen now? Might as well use it for something...

Cool

I was going to throw a number out from memory but let me check tomorrow. I know the M10 that is on display near the main gate was 'sponsored' by a gentleman from New Jersey whos father was in a TD Battalion.

As far as the building fund. It is somewhat in limbo right now. But when i win the MegaMillions Lottery and start filling out a check for a seven digit donation maybe I'll get someone to provide some details Rolling Eyes

#7: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:16 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

Cool

I finally got a chance to catch up with Ed Heasley at the museum about this.

The quick answer is to contact the Museum Foundation since they run the donation program. They don't have it set up where you can pick a given vehicle to be refurbed (As Ed put it if they did that all the German stuff would get done first and everything else would be ignored) but I know they have worked with folks to have there contribution noted on a plaque with an appropriate vehicle. The case that come to mind was a family who's father serveed in a TD outfit in WWII. It was worked out that their donation was honored with a plaque on the M10.

As far as amounts it is somewhat flexible and Ed would rather that be handled through the Foundation. but any donation above $1,000 or so would merit recognition on an artifact of some kind. Remember they have artillery pieces to refurb also. Of course the bigger the donation the bigger the recognition (but you probably figured that Wink ) I figure when I win the MegaMillions and am set to donate 2-5 Million to build a building I'll be able to talk to someone high enough up that we can talk about rethinking the future location Twisted Evil

Hope this helps. Here is a link to the Foundation website
ordmusfound.org/

#8: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:49 pm
    ----
Nice collection of photos, although- true to Wikipedia "tradition"- the captions are more than questionable. Cool

#9: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:11 pm
    ----
Say what?

commons.wikimedia.org/...t_nest.jpg

#10: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:58 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Yep, that's where F-18s are bred... Laughing

Not uncommon in outdoor exhibits, at Munster we saw quite a bit of bird's nests, spiderwebs and rodent's hideaways on some of the exhibits in the backyard- since most people aren't allowed to climb on the things and the animals remain undisturbed, the caretaker had us pay attention to mother nature's creatures when we were all over the vehicles. Cool

They do a major clean-up during the winter months, so things don't get out of hand, and apparently the furry, feathery and multilegged creatures take good care not to overstep the bounds during the warmer months.

#11: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 pm
    ----
Isn't the gun identified as "8.8 cm Kw FlaK 1916" actually the 88's precursor, the 7.7 cm?

#12: Re: Wikipedia APG photographs Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:03 pm
    ----
- A2_Prius
Isn't the gun identified as "8.8 cm Kw FlaK 1916" actually the 88's precursor, the 7.7 cm?

Nope...

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board