Ruh-Roh...........
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: Ruh-Roh........... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:29 am
    ----
Some of you may be noticing that as of this AM, Com-Central has a somewhat new "look" and the left-side menus are inflated. No, it isn't your monitor or computer......we'll try to explain, but the main thing is we need everyone to stay calm and not panic. Specifically, we must ask that no one make any sudden moves or drop any large objects.

We're looking at the data coming in right now, but it seems that part of the caption from today's Screenshot Contest picture has broken off and jammed a pressure-control valve in the cooling system. In turn, this has raised the pressure of the steam going to the left-side menus, causing them to be inflated. Normally we run about 20-25 psi pressure through the menus, and right now we're seeing readings in the 160-psi range (although our gauges are also suspect, since we have a corresponding vacuum loss from the left-side menus which feed the gauge monitoring system itself).

We've got the replacement pressure valve coming in and it should be here within a couple hours, but unfortunately the specialized wrench we need to replace the valve assembly is missing, and we suspect that it's locked in the toolbox that belongs to the technician who regularly services the cooling system during the night shift. Unfortunately, due to overtime restrictions and union regulations, we won't be able to call this person in early, so we may have to wait until he arrives for his shift, typically at around 12:00 AM (midnight) US CST.

Alternatives are to bleed off some of the pressure through the cooling tower, but that runs the risk of less coolant being pumped through the core, which could cause it to "go hot" (errr...reach critical mass) and then we'd have a meltdown which would probably impact the Hardware forum first and spread from there. Plus, the steam may still be radioactive and we'd have to evacuate the facility as well as the surrounding towns, which would be very inconvenient, as we have the cable guy coming over sometime today between noon and 5 o'clock, and it's taken all week to get this appointment.

For right now, we need everyone to be aware of the high pressure buildup on the left-side menus and realize the safety implications. Please understand that any rapid double-clicking on the left menus should be avoided, since we don't know when the thing could blow. Also, please no sudden loud noises either. Those with small children nearby may consider wrapping their monitors in a kevlar-based safety blanket prior to reading or using the forums or menus, to avoid any shards of glass penetrating into their living areas should anything go awry.

Other than that, everything is completely safe and there are no risks. We apologize for any inconvenience and all will be well soon, or in 15-16 hours, if we're still here.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:43 am
    ----
And please use an old mouse pointer. no new ones with sharp edges. Mr. Green

#3: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:21 am
    ----
I copied and pasted verbatim in the AFV forum for the armor guys. They're technically savvy so I'm sure they can digest the info, but they're also kinda' surly and generally well armed so I'm not makin' any promises about how they might react. I'd recommend the screenshot administrator and JG300-1Bullet stay in defilade for a while, just in case. Wink

I told 'em that I thought that means puttin' URL's in the caption wasn't in the TM's and wasn't authorized by depot-level maintenence, it should be corrected when they rotate out the pic for the next entry at midnight tonight.

For those who have seen the film, "The Beast" (a war film involving a Russian tank crew wandering about in Afghanistan during their involvement there) you should know there is some back channel discussion about submitting the screenshot admininistrator to the same punishment as the villager was in a memorable sequence from that film. Evil or Very Mad

#4: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:15 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
For those who have seen the film, "The Beast" (a war film involving a Russian tank crew wandering about in Afghanistan during their involvement there) you should know there is some back channel discussion about submitting the screenshot admininistrator to the same punishment as the villager was in a memorable sequence from that film. Evil or Very Mad

Where is that Torquemada guy when you need him? I'm thinking he'd be interested in a scenario like that one! Of course, as a fellow JG300 member, I should object to such a suggestion being carried out on the "Boss Hawg", but after having been subjected to the flatulence in a recent screenshot lately...and now this....well.....

#5: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:07 pm
    ----
lololol

#6: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:49 pm
    ----
What..... when JG300 says we're "Stinkin' up the place with Sty'le", did you think we were kidding????!!

Laughing

#7: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 pm
    ----
Oh hey! Quick thought!

Since it's like, so BIG right now....why not take advantage of the oversized opportunity to go vote on todays Picture Of The Day???

I see only 4 votes there, but lots of comments on the size issue.....so why not make hay while the sun shines, you certainly won't get a "BIGGER" chance!!!!

Laughing

#8: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:50 pm
    ----
OH- Scheiße did I do that????????? Shocked

#9: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:48 am
    ----
No - no you didn't 1Bullet - I did it by not catching it. There's no way you could have realized posting a URL in the caption would have had that effect.

See post in AFV forum.... "No fault of the contributor".

#10: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:01 am
    ----
I say we hang 'em both, just to be sure! Twisted Evil

#11: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:58 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
I say we hang 'em both, just to be sure! Twisted Evil
I think that's supposed to make 'em taste better as well.
Mr. Green

#12: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:10 am
    ----
I'll get the 'Spit'
Mr. Green

#13: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:40 am
    ----
Dang! I go away for a day and miss all the excitement...lol (Glad that valve made it in...:) )

#14: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:03 pm
    ----
Hey, guess what happens when you click on "screenshot contest".... Mr. Green

com-central.net/index.php?name=POTD

#15: Re: Ruh-Roh........... Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:09 pm
    ----
BULLET: You ain't never gonna get me alive to the Pig Pen Stockade, boy. Cool

Doug: Then I'll get you there dead.... boy. Twisted Evil

STOOPY: Dieser Kerl ist Mittel Shocked

-> Officer's Club