Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: boeman PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:48 am
    ----
So almost a year later, I decided to check out George Bradford's site to see what was new and noticed the old discussion board is no longer operating. I take it I have the marauding spammers to thank for this?

In any case, I'm curious as to which of the regular posters migrated over and who we lost.

#2: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:13 am
    ----
I think most of the old board folks made it here.

#3: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:52 am
    ----
I wasn't on the old board for very long before it was getting spammed and moved over here.

#4: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:06 am
    ----
I guess it depends on how far back you want to think of 'The Old Board' and how good any of our memories are (Sort of like the old joke 'anyone who can't hear me please raise your hand')

I seem to remember some folks that wee on the old board but who I think dropped off before the migration. There is of course Lorrin. There was also a Norwegion tank commander (I remember him because he replied to the first post I made on teh board Way, way back). There are also some who made the transition and seem to have been dormant since then.

#5: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:13 pm
    ----
- boeman
I take it I have the marauding spammers to thank for this?

To the tune of about 250,000 spam posts, more or less. They did help us break the six million post mark before the site was put to death.

#6: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:07 pm
    ----
I came over from George's old board.

#7: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: arfraser PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:57 am
    ----
...and I am still lurking Cool

#8: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:37 pm
    ----
I started with the old board at around 3 million hits

Jeff Lewis

#9: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:16 pm
    ----
I was at the old board for maybe 6 months before following the herd.

#10: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:37 pm
    ----
I will say I miss the old board archive, I wish we had kep that going so we could get old messages & pics, even if we didnt use the board anymore... Oh well...

Neil

#11: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:44 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I will say I miss the old board archive, I wish we had kep that going so we could get old messages & pics, even if we didnt use the board anymore... Oh well...

Neil

Some stuff can be picked up via archives, some not...it's really hit or miss. You can't link between pages, but a few things do turn up in a search now and again. Wink

#12: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:29 pm
    ----
You mean via google search? Yeah, that pulls up some stuff, like you said hit or miss... But until about a month ago the board was still there if you knew the address - you could still search through it. Now the link doesnt work at all anymore...

Neil

#13: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:41 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
You mean via google search? Yeah, that pulls up some stuff, like you said hit or miss... But until about a month ago the board was still there if you knew the address - you could still search through it. Now the link doesnt work at all anymore...

Neil

The old board is dead and buried for sure (think it's been more than a month, though). Only the occasional archive via google comes up now, like you said.

It was unsustainable, after advent of the spam 'bots. There were some days the spam posts approached a thousand.

#14: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:43 am
    ----
<pokes head out of hatch> I'm here....lurking around!

#15: Re: Any of the Originals From the OLD Discsussion Group? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:59 pm
    ----
I was on the "Old-Board" for less than a year before making the jump here. Best move I've ever made.

-> AFV News Discussion Board