More M1117 ASVs ordered
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: More M1117 ASVs ordered Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:54 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Ran acrossed an article at Defense Update that reported the US Army has ordered more M1117s. Total contract buy stands at 1,729 vehicles with 950 already build.

The story says that "more than 750 ASVs have been deployed in the Global War on Terrorism in support of combat operations."

One new item in the report (to me anyway) is the ASV is being used by the Field Artillery Combat Observation and Lasing Teams (COLT).

I for one wonder if the M1117 would not make a good Scout vehicle?

Not bad for a ex-cold war vehicle that we no longer needed. So production was cancelled to help pay for the new Strykers. I guess that is a major example of one never knows what the next war will need.

Spot Report and my 2 cents.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: More M1117 ASVs ordered Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 pm
    ----
Awhile ago I recall reading that sizeable numbers of a lengthened troop-carrying M1117 were going into Iraq for th Iraqi army. I've seen posted photo of the occassional state-size vehicle on rail transport. But the only in-country Iraqi AC photos I've seen have been of a Polish-made vehicle of similar specs (and probably much lower price). Has anyone heard-seen of the lengthened M1117 in Iraqi hands?

#3: Re: More M1117 ASVs ordered Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:26 pm
    ----
Answered my own question:

#4: Re: More M1117 ASVs ordered Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:32 am
    ----
Hi Mike! Hi Folks!

- mike_Duplessis

Has anyone heard-seen of the lengthened M1117 in Iraqi hands?

Joe_D has seen some and has some pictures. Once he is off leave and has access to a high speed PC, maybe he will post some of them for you.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board