M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:20 pm
    ----

#2: Re: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:22 pm
    ----
I wonder if that is the same 'Duster' that was at the 'old' ADA Museum, Missle Park.

The Museum used to be located near the old Ft Bliss Replica. I believe it was Jeb Stuart ave.

If the same vehicle, it was part of the museum since the mid-seventies and some interesting 'side' history.

( I used to climb on it and rotate the turret, as well as the 90mm 'sky sweeper', and a few others that were statically displayed in the missle park )

Don

#3: Re: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:56 am
    ----
Tumbleweed, can you tell us where this Duster is located?

I am aware of one at Building 2920, and two located on Cassidy Road (in addition to the one at the current museum).

Neil

#4: Re: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:58 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner
Tumbleweed, can you tell us where this Duster is located?

I am aware of one at Building 2920, and two located on Cassidy Road (in addition to the one at the current museum).

Neil

That is the one that is North of Cassidy Road, just east of Chaffee Road.

As for the Museum, it has one outside and one inside for two.

For an update, the M42, Chaparral, and the Vulcan that was by the 107th ADA Bde Hq which was South of Cassidy Road, just west of Chaffee Road are all gone. That unit has either stood down or moved out of Ft. Bliss. So as of a few weeks ago, there is now only one M42 on Cassidy Road.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:40 am; edited 3 times in total

#5: Re: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:10 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos
I wonder if that is the same 'Duster' that was at the 'old' ADA Museum, Missle Park.

The Museum used to be located near the old Ft Bliss Replica. I believe it was Jeb Stuart ave.

If the same vehicle, it was part of the museum since the mid-seventies and some interesting 'side' history.

( I used to climb on it and rotate the turret, as well as the 90mm 'sky sweeper', and a few others that were statically displayed in the missle park )

Don

The old museum building was on Pleasonton Street. Jeb Stuart is one major block east of Pleasonton. Stuart is the road that runs between the gate that was on the south side of post, along the east side of the National Cemetery, before connecting to Fred Wilson next to the base heavy repair shops.

Without knowing serial numbers or some other way to ID the vehicle, hard to say. The new museum building has one outside in front of the building and one inside the building that has been cleaned up and repainted. My guess is that one of those two is the vehicle that was outside the old building.

There had been a pair of Skyweepers by the museum's wearhouse, but when I took Joe_D past there, both of them were gone.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:07 am
    ----
Neil,

It's at the intersection of Chaffee and Cassidy. Are you interested in Serial Numbers or such? Can go back by there and look.

#7: Re: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 am
    ----
Sure, I'll take anything you can give me! Here's what I currently have:

Fort Bliss Museum, Bdg 1735, Marshall Rd
M4 High-Speed Tractor USA ind
M15 Half-Track GMC USA ind
M19 USA ind
M42 Duster USA ind
M60A0 USA out SN 59, RN 9B3093; ex-WSMR
M163 USA ind
M548 Chaparral Launcher USA ind
XM247 Sergeant York USA ind
Building 2920
M42 Duster USA out
M163 USA out
ZSU-23-4 SOV out

North of Cassidy Rd, east of Chaffee Rd
M42 Duster USA out

Jeb Stuart Rd
M163 USA out
M730 Chaparral Launcher USA out

Museum Storage Area
Autocannone da 90/53 ITA out

#8: Re: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:58 am
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway
Neil,
Are you interested in Serial Numbers or such? Can go back by there and look.

If you are going to try the Dusters, check out the one over by building 2920 first.
Building 2920 is between two large parking lots. It is North of Cassidy, East of Carrington, and South of Stennis.
If you drive in the East Cassidy gate from Airway, look to your right and you should see the ZSU-23-4 that is next to building 2920.

The radio operator's hatch is broken and the front hatch is not (or it's wasn't) locked. There is a number below the right front headllight assemble (driver's point of view) and you can see the data plate inside on the left wall.

Good Luck,
Sgt, Scouts out!

#9: Re: M-42 "Duster" at Fort Bliss Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:35 am
    ----
The Duster was the first - and only - AFV I have ridden in. (I've led a sheltered life.) When I was in high school in southeastern Florida (early 1970s) a local ANG ADA unit equipped with M42s took members of my Civil Air Patrol unit for rides in one. Crashing through the sawgrass and palmetto was great fun!

-> AFV News Discussion Board