Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:11 pm
    ----

#2: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:50 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

Test for you CIA types! Anyone see anything wrong with that Duster?
There is something major missing from the area in front of the turret.
Sgt, Scouts out!

#3: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:36 am
    ----
Flash suppressors?

#4: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:51 am
    ----
I agree with Sabot. Flash surpressors missing. Also, the Vulcan Cannon has a seriously broken #1 torsion bar. SN on Vulcan Cannon is CC17.

#5: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:50 am
    ----
Are the extra side sponsons on the vulcan additional armor or extra flotation material to try and maintain it's capability to float with the extra weight (or something else entirely)?

#6: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:10 am
    ----
- bsmart
Are the extra side sponsons on the vulcan additional armor or extra flotation material to try and maintain it's capability to float with the extra weight (or something else entirely)?

Thats a sponson box. Spare barrels are kept below it. (As I recall)

I believe this is the one that was at the old museum. Flash supressors are indeed missing. I seem to recall the old missle park static also had supressors missing.

...As well as antenna bases, M60 mounts, right head light fixture,the gunners aiming sight, and....

Personal reflection: Lava rock.....surprised it isn't painted green. then a sign would be needed,.... "Don't walk on the grass"... Mr. Green

Old desert humor..... Rolling Eyes
Don

#7: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:38 am
    ----
- Dontos
- bsmart

Thats a sponson box. Spare barrels are kept below it. (As I recall)

Vulcan Neill... Vulcan not the M42!

I dunno I take a week off and everything has gone to pot Wink

BTW accessing this mailing list through a PPC & a wireless link sucks!

Cool

#8: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:42 am
    ----
[quote="Roy_A_Lingle"]Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

Test for you CIA types! Anyone see anything wrong with that Duster?
There is something major missing from the area in front of the turret.
Sgt, Scouts out!

IIRC that particular vehicle originally served in Vietnam with the name 'FOX' and was in its original colour scheme before someone decided to change it to match the other vehicles. The available images of FOX show that it didn't have any flash suppressors (the missing item) fitted in Vietnam.

Cool

#9: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:48 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I said "MAJOR". All the other items are correct and what I would call minor and normal for a display vehicle.

This one is missing something that should NOT be missing from any vehicle that is on display.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:36 pm
    ----
Hatch missing...???

Don

#11: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:44 pm
    ----
HI Folks!

- Dontos
Hatch missing...???

Don

We have a bingo!

The base for the radio operator's hatch has broken lose and the hatch is laying down inside the hull, leaving the interior open to the elements.

Well done CIA member Dontos!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:31 pm
    ----
Man, I havent even posted to this thread and I'm getting called out! Wink

Neil

#13: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:34 pm
    ----
Outside Building 2920 right? What road is that on anyway?

Neil

#14: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:12 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Man, I havent even posted to this thread and I'm getting called out! Wink

Neil

Yeah Its your turn to get blamed for everything this week Smile

Cool

#15: Re: Fort Bliss- Duster, Vulcan Cannon & ZSU 23-4 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:29 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner
Outside Building 2920 right? What road is that on anyway?

Neil

The building is one of three buildings that are in the middle of two very large parking lots. There is no near by street.

If you can look at Google Earth, try:

31 degrees, 48' 51.15" N by 106 degrees, 24' 43.06" W

Carrington Road is the North/South street to the west of a line of three buildings. Building 2920 is the eastern most building and the three vehicles are along the south side of the hex shape building where the three sidewalks come together. Photo is out of date and currently does not show these three vehicles. If you check the musuem parking lot you will only see the M42 Duster that is there along with a 88mm flak gun which is currently inside the musuem.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board