Can Anybody ID This Leopard?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 am
    ----
Seen at the Oshawa Military Museum on Saturday:

Obviously a Leopard 1 chassis. The turret appears to be a cast version fixed to the rear and cut down, including a cutout over the driver's hatch. I wonder whether it's a driver training version of some sort or a live fire target vehicle or VISMOD? Note also the apparent patches in the glacis and lower hull.

Cheers,

Scott Taylor

#2: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:57 am
    ----
...and with a totally fake gun, obviously. Maybe a trainer or cobbled together from whatever bits of test vehicle or demil components the owner could get.

Who owns that Sheridan next to it?

#3: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:14 am
    ----
Hi Doug:

The Sheridan is one of two owned by the Oshawa Military Museum. That one is a runner and is in great shape both inside and out (I've been in it). The other one has had external work only done to it. I was told that the other one is an actual Vietnam combat vet. I've got to get back to the museum sometime to get some more photos of these vehicles and the pair of M60A3s that are in the collection (last time I shot them was in the pre-digital camera era). I'll look for serials if anybody is interested. Where does one look on a Sheridan?

Cheers,

Scott

#4: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:36 pm
    ----
IIRC Canada bought several years ago complete Leopard 1A5s and used the turrets for their Leopard C1.

Maybe this is one of the left over hulls with some sort of weight on it.

Is it possible to check the constructionnumber??

Regards,
Lesley

#5: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:57 pm
    ----
Hi Lesley:

I'll check the construction number the next time I'm at the museum. Driver's side of the glacis plate, correct?

I don't doubt that this is a Leopard C1 hull. The turret really did appear to be a Leopard 1A5 turret (or some other cast turret variant) cut in half horizontally and locked in position facing aft, as opposed to just a generic weight added to the hull. Why this would be done, I don't know.

Cheers,

Scott

#6: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:33 pm
    ----
I would think cutting a cast turret in half would be a major operation.

#7: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:28 pm
    ----
Its a driver training tank - the hull puzzles me though for the obvious reason and I don't mean those steel plates welded on which are probably covering the demill holes...

Cool

#8: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:36 pm
    ----
That is a Canadian Leopard C1 hull....there are the MEXAS armour mounts visible on the glacis plate, the armoured cover for the dozer and plough cables, and the cable cover for the driver's windshield washer is visible.

Jim is correct that is was a Leopard C1 driver trainer...but the cab has been removed. The dummy gun is also not the standard one for the trainer and circular lights? on either side of the dummy gun have been added on. There has been a slightly raised portion added to where the driver instructor's cab would be sitting.

I would say this might have been used as a movie prop and has been modified.

#9: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:25 pm
    ----
While you are looking for numbers and stampings, check to see if it is original CARC paint? Chemical and Radiological Coating (???) The new Leo at Royal Military College was repainted in semi-gloss green to completely seal up the otherwise toxic CARC paint.

#10: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:36 am
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
While you are looking for numbers and stampings, check to see if it is original CARC paint? Chemical and Radiological Coating (???) The new Leo at Royal Military College was repainted in semi-gloss green to completely seal up the otherwise toxic CARC paint.

CARC....(OHHH YEAH!!!)

I lost brain cells due to that (knowingly setting myself up for ridicule) Mr. Green

In Germany (1989) I had to 'spot paint' my CAT tank in am open maint bay. WHEEEW!!! (Had to look 'pretty' at the Competition)

The worst was at Ft Hood in 1992-93 during tank turn in. We were turning in 'our M1A1(Heavys) to the newer M1A1(Heavy Common). Had to totally repaint my tank (Twice) by hand (using a brush & rollers).

Personal note: My wife just read this post and muttered something to the effect of "Now I know what's wrong with YOU!!" Shocked

Regards,
Don

#11: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:44 pm
    ----
Hello Scott,
Correct, also when sitting on the drivers seat it is also on a little dataplate on the right side of the driver. On this plate is also the type, delivery date and constructionnumber (Fahrgestellnummer in German)

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Lesley

- Scott_Taylor
Hi Lesley:

I'll check the construction number the next time I'm at the museum. Driver's side of the glacis plate, correct?

I don't doubt that this is a Leopard C1 hull. The turret really did appear to be a Leopard 1A5 turret (or some other cast turret variant) cut in half horizontally and locked in position facing aft, as opposed to just a generic weight added to the hull. Why this would be done, I don't know.

Cheers,

Scott

#12: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:08 pm
    ----
Scott, I'm currently tying up loose ends at Oshawa. This Leopard is new to me so I've added it here with your photo:

Unique ID 2485: Leopard, Oshawa, ON, Canada

I've also added one of your pictures to the cutaway M4A2 at Ottawa. Your new contributor page is here so you can monitor my use of your photos. Let me know if you have any objections to this arrangement.

#13: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 pm
    ----
Dear Sirs,
tank has Serial No. 78-85067 information from André Blanchard.

#14: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:49 pm
    ----
Thanks, Jiri - serial added. I've found a picture of it taken by Andre on the Silverhawk site so I now know where it went to - the Georgina Military Museum. Here's a rear view from the museum's Photobucket collection:

#15: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:44 pm
    ----
This tank was used in the movie Jumper, as background for the Chechnya scene.
imcdb.org/vehicle_1764...ard-1.html
imcdb.org/vehicle_1764...ard-1.html

-> AFV News Discussion Board