Discovery channel show about the Abrams!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Discovery channel show about the Abrams! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I was working on a model kit last night and stopped to check the TV guide to see if there was anything on that I wanted to listin too.

I noticed the Discovery channel had something called "Build It Bigger: M1 Abrams Tank".

For those folks who like tanks and get the Discovery channel, keep a look out for reruns of this show!

Discovery channel has been running a show titled "Extereme Engineering". The guy from that show was running around Ft. Knox and Anniston Depot and was trying to get someone to let him drive an Abrams tank.

At Ft. Knox, he spent some time in an driver's simulator. Went out to a river and helped a M88 Hercules crew recover a stuck Abrams. Went with an EOD team to blow up an IED. Best part of that section was a pair of very rusty M60A2s on the way out to the range.
At Anniston, he followed a wore out Abrams through the 55 day rebuild program. The details of the how a rusted pile of junk was stripped down to bare metal and rebuild was very interesting!

Anniston let the film crew shoot Danny in a holding area covered with dead M1s and two or three times he said the Army had a shortage of tanks.

For folks who like AFV's I suggest you watch this one if possible!

After the event, spot report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: Discovery channel show about the Abrams! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:34 am
    ----
I've got it tivoed up. I can't remember if it recorded late last night or if it will be in the next night or so (The 10 PM showing conflicted with something else, I think the extra minute or so I record of 'Dirty Jobs') It is on several times in the next week or so. I watched a couple minutes of it live but went to the news since there was video footage of two new construction houses in our town going up in flames (I found out this morning it was suspected arson since they stopped a third one with minor damage Shocked )

#3: Re: Discovery channel show about the Abrams! Author: oldertop PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:03 pm
    ----
Ya, theres been an out-break of shows about M1 rebuilds each peppered wth short tidbits showing the troops on field operations, The one I like was a M88 on a so called recovery operation and the clowns were using the boom winch with no snachblock and a single line to pull a M1...somewhere theres a safety officer and instructor who need a good swift kick in the ass.

#4: Re: Discovery channel show about the Abrams! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:56 pm
    ----
This may be the one. They were getting ready to pull an M1 that was mired to the top of the tracks. This one was filmed at Knox

-> AFV News Discussion Board