new panther turns up at Beltring
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:07 am
    ----
A Panther Ausf "A" owned by Rex Cadman [owner of beltring] on show for the first time at this years Beltring show.

dennis

#2: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:38 am
    ----
Hi Dennis! Hi Folks!

Looking good! Any idea want the history behind that AFV is.
Like where is was found and who did all that great work?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:48 am
    ----
Roy,
I think they have big ideals for this panther I was told they have the engine and most of the body fittings[they were removed for a quick paint job] They are talking of having a British tank diesel engine fitted so it seems they intend to get it running.
dennis

#4: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:47 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Dennis! Hi Folks!
who did all that great work?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

IIRC the only original stuff on this is the suspension and lower half of the hull. A lot of 'reconstructing' went into it and it shows in places like the welds & armour cuts.

Cool

#5: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:56 pm
    ----
have included owners panzer 4 in the same album
dennis

#6: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:25 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Dennis! Hi Folks!
who did all that great work?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

IIRC the only original stuff on this is the suspension and lower half of the hull. A lot of 'reconstructing' went into it and it shows in places like the welds & armour cuts.

Cool

Jim,
Could you please point out which photo(s) show the reconstructing and specifically where they are in the photo.

Thanks,
Garry

#7: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:23 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon

Could you please point out which photo(s) show the reconstructing and specifically where they are in the photo.

If I had the time maybe. Might I suggest you look at some decent images of the Panther and arrive at your own conclusion. If not then look at JTs image of the

#8: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:27 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon

If I had the time maybe. Might I suggest you look at some decent images of the Panther and arrive at your own conclusion. If not then look at JTs image entitled 'Poor panther condition'

news.webshots.com/phot...7170hqcAfW

They quite clearly show the edges of the glacis plate which are ,typically, for a Panther machined flat and not cut with a blowtorch. I'm sure if you do a greater comparison you'll notice other minor (and I stress minor) anomolies.

Cool

#9: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:50 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- Garry_Redmon

If I had the time maybe. Might I suggest you look at some decent images of the Panther and arrive at your own conclusion. If not then look at JTs image entitled 'Poor panther condition'

news.webshots.com/phot...7170hqcAfW

They quite clearly show the edges of the glacis plate which are ,typically, for a Panther machined flat and not cut with a blowtorch. I'm sure if you do a greater comparison you'll notice other minor (and I stress minor) anomolies.

Cool

I noticed that too. Idon't remember seeing such a 'rough' fit on the armor plates.

Don

#10: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:37 pm
    ----
Well here it is before restoration started and more complete than rumoured - looks like they replaced the glacis plate and made a right horlicks of it considering they had an almost complete one to copy.

www.zundapp.co.uk/kwlata.jpg

Cool

#11: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: davemarian PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:06 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

Cool

Hello!! I'm pretty sure that the edges of the glacis plates were never fully machined. One of the original ideas with the Panther, was to flame cut the plates and weld up the sometimes large gaps. This (for the most part) eliminated the second process of machining the edges and bevels prior to welding. This process is described in the Spielberger book. The linked pictures look like a factory cut and welded front plate. just my .02 DAVE

#12: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:16 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Well here it is before restoration started and more complete than rumoured - looks like they replaced the glacis plate and made a right horlicks of it considering they had an almost complete one to copy.

www.zundapp.co.uk/kwlata.jpg

Cool

Jim,

Not quite. That picture reference is from my website, and is one I took a couple of years ago of the 3rd Panther in the Wheatcroft collection. The Cadmans Panther hull/turret is original and came from the French Tank museum in exchange for restoration work they had done for the museum.

They have owned this Panther for some time, a small photo of it appeared
in the late and long lamented "wheels and Tracks" magazine when it arrived in their collection at least 5 years ago.

David

#13: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:44 pm
    ----
Third panther? I was only aware of two - the one at Beltring and another (more complete) still under restoration?

Cool

#14: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:04 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Third panther? I was only aware of two - the one at Beltring and another (more complete) still under restoration?

Cool

Jim,

You're mistaking Rex Cadman for Kevin Wheatcroft. Mr.Wheatcroft has three (all Ausf.A's) and the Cadmans may have one more than the one now picture confimed (rumors about a Bergepanther).

#15: Re: new panther turns up at Beltring Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:20 pm
    ----
The trouble with a lot of this is there is nothing but rumours to go on Sad

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board