Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help!
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:31 pm
    ----
P-O and I got there a bit early and used the spare time to take a look at the visable storage areas...

Here's the first set of pictures... Enjoy, more to come...

First off a couple of long-shots

M8 HMC hidden in a corner

HS-30 APC

Char B demineur vehicle, EBR and then what is the modern MBT next to the EBR?

The Char B's mine rollers

Chinese APC?, something with an oscillating turret?, and an M5A1 Stuart

Renault UE & R-35

AMX-10P with some sort of automatic cannon?

Another AMX-10P (probably a more recently used demonstrator)

AMX-40 prototype

M4A1(75) Sherman - found some markings that didnt have any significance to me... Says CT, so possibly a Canadian WD number?

Another Sherman hull

Isnt this a Soviet armored car hull?

BTR-50 behind a VAB

M24 Chaffee - I think this is the French modified one, different gun?

Neil

#2: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:39 pm
    ----
Nice photos,

makes me want to go as well... Smile Methinks your Russian armored car is rather French, possibly a Panhard- I'm not up to date on les désignations Francaises...

I also see nothing unusual about the Chaffee's gun, didn't they swap turrets rather than guns?

Thanks,

Jens O.

#3: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:39 pm
    ----
I don't think it's a chinese APC. I think it's just another AMX-10P. The something behind it with an oscillating turret is probably just an AMX-13. Armored car hull is probably a Panhard ERC 90 (3 axles).

The mysterious tank is, well, mysterious. Are those water jets under the taillights?

#4: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: rlocke PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:54 pm
    ----
The vehicle next to the EBR looks like an AMX-10 C. I found a few pictures at this site

www.chars-francais.net

Nice photos of various french AFV's, text in french.

Regards

Rlocke

#5: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:01 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Could this be an AMX-10RC, perhaps even a prototype? The turret seems to share a lot of common features, but may have some subtle differences (hard to tell). That could easily be a wheeled chassis, and the rear also appears similar.

Neil

#6: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:10 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Okay, looks like its just an ERC Sagaie hull...

Neil

#7: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 am
    ----
AMX 10C turret with 90% certainty ...

www.chars-francais.net...0c_010.jpg

and the rear hull looks even better .... the AMX 10RC armoured car has angled rear corners vs square on the AMX 10C tracked vehicle.

www.chars-francais.net...0c_021.jpg

#8: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:25 am
    ----
Here's some more...

Some turrets - P-O thought the one on the right might be from a Panther?

Is this another VP 90?

Speaking of Panthers...

T-72

M47 Patton

M48 Patton dozer

? ARV

? Soviet tank

Chinese APC?

Some sort of test vehicle?

AMX-30

STRV M74

TRVs

ERC prototype?

? turret

other turrets

Swedish Sav M/43

? Soviet tank

BTR-50

Neil

#9: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:18 pm
    ----
No other comments or identification help?

Neil

#10: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:27 pm
    ----
Neil,
I'd be glad to help but being here at work the image host you use is blocked. It'll be Friday before I can view them.

Sorry
Joe D

#11: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:45 pm
    ----
Weeeeell,

since you asked- that TRV is an ARV and is known as the M74 to CIAs. Laughing

I agree that the turret in question is from a Panther, and the unknown Soviet tanks seem to be both T55s. The BTR-50 could also be an OT-62, but I'd need to see the front end for that.

The unknown recovery vehicle looks darn familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it, I want to say former WP, but I could be off the mark, heck, I couldn't even remember the Sagaie although I've been around them.

That rusty turret with the pulleys also looks familiar and I know I'll slap my head as soon as somebody else identifies it, but for the time being, I'm lost like a 2LT with a map and a compass. Mr. Green

Cheers and FWIW,

Jens O.

#12: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:59 pm
    ----
Are both TRVs M74s? There are 2 different ones...

Neil

#13: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:01 pm
    ----
Ooops,

shouldn't do these late-nighters- the frontview is an M32, I think an M32B2, the rear end is that of an M74.

Sorry about that

Jens O.

#14: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:02 pm
    ----
Who they kiddin'? I bet that was recovered from Vietnam in '54, then hastily painted over with that Free French thingie (and to hide the pink) and weathered to keep the secret and all us guessin', those conniving cheese eaters. We oughta' task P-O to get to the bottom of this, tout de suite. Wink

#15: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:05 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Ooops,

shouldn't do these late-nighters- the frontview is an M32, I think an M32B2, the rear end is that of an M74.

Sorry about that

Jens O.

No, I think you're right the first time...you had me hustle to my "Sherman" and only the M74 had the blade and the winch up on the turret, 'ccording to that.

-> AFV News Discussion Board