Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:16 pm
    ----
- GaryKato
Thank you, Jens. A package from Squadron arrived right on time as well!

Amazon here, enough kits for the time being, have to catch up on what the prototypes were used for... Smile

I highly recommend "Cutthroats" by Robert C. Dick to those who haven't read it yet, and "By tank into Normandy" is available in paperback since April or so.

Jens O.

#62: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:26 pm
    ----
Jens,
I read "Cutthroats" this March. Was given to me by a Marine Colonel in Iraq (One hell of a good guy) I road with for a while. It is an excellent read.

Joe D

#63: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:07 pm
    ----
I'll agree with the comments about 'Cutthroats'. I only regret that I didn't get a copy and read it before the author died in December. He had been an early member of the G104 (Sherman) discussion group and had added a contemporary users point of view to the discussions. I would like to think that his reception in that group encouraged him to write Cutthroats and make his experiences visable to a much larger audience.

"By Tank Into Normandy" is on my list to be read (So many books so little time Rolling Eyes )

#64: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:25 pm
    ----
Sad to hear that Mr Dick isn't among us anymore, hand salute to a fine soldier. He does acknowledge G104 and a certain Joe DeMarco (does that name sound familiar? Naaawww Smile ) in the foreword, so you guys certainly had an impact.

#65: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:23 pm
    ----
I am reasonably certain the remaining "unknown armored car" is in fact a Crotale carrier vehicle, just without the actual launcher.

Here's an archive of the old Crotale page on chars-francais - what happened to the site, no more pictures!

web.archive.org/web/20...rotale.htm

Neil

#66: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:32 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I am reasonably certain the remaining "unknown armored car" is in fact a Crotale carrier vehicle, just without the actual launcher.

Here's an archive of the old Crotale page on chars-francais - what happened to the site, no more pictures!

web.archive.org/web/20...rotale.htm

Neil

Coolness, Neil. Looks remarkably like airport equipment (like an aircraft tow) with missiles.

I sure wish I knew how you guys dredge up those archive pages like that....

#67: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:36 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

You know I thought of that but I don't think it's one of those (unless it was modified). I don't think the side hatch matches the Crotale. Maybe it was an APC version? The round wheel arches certainly match and how they are flush with the hull.

#68: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:42 pm
    ----
www.archive.org

#69: Re: Pictures from Saumur - outside storage areas / ID Help! Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:45 am
    ----
Chars-francais is being updated, the photos are not online yet, but will be eventually- have a look here: Status info.

For those not au courant in French, here's the condensed info, courtesy of Michel Sabarly:

"Dear visitors,

As you must have noticed, our favorite website is wearing its new camouflage scheme!

Better adapted and more efficient than the original website created by Antoine Misner, which dated back to 2000 and consisted in pages with no other structure than links between them.

The decision to transform the website was made one year ago. We chose Joomla, a well known and appreciated CMS editor.

Our website now includes a database, dynamic pages, and soon a photo gallery. The groundwork is now laid for regular and progressive evolution of the website's various modules.

All the people involved, all volunteers, have spared no effort since the implementation of the test website last February.

After months of efforts, we switched to the new website today. The old pages are now not accessible any longer. We thank you for your understanding if by any chance errors would appear during this delicate transition period.

We invite you to give us yours comments and suggestions in the 'contact' page.

The website team and Antoine join me to wish that you enjoy your visit,

Laurent PROVOS,

Technical administrator"

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board