O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:12 am
    ----
This was making the the way around work yesterday as a PowerPoint file.

SAFETY AWARDS

10th place The Porter

9th place Baggage handling at Airport

8th place Aircondition Installation

7th place Automobile Mechanic

6th place Fork Lift Lift

#2: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:12 am
    ----
5th place Cable Fixing

4th place Basement Painting

3rd place Aironautical Engineer

2nd place Electrician

And the First Prize … Street Light fixing

And this one won an extra prize..... Military Service in North Korea

#3: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 pm
    ----
Just to bring an element of "on topic" to the thread, I wonder how the modern crews would feel about our old-fashioned method of tightening end connectors on M48's and M60's! Shocked

(I'll give JoeD a chance to pipe up to see if they still did it this way in his day...maybe the Corps did it too, so Oldertop can comment for the USMC...)

#4: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:05 pm
    ----
How about removing a stuck or swollen (SABOT) round in a tank.

This diagram is personnel positioning during an actual breech open/stuck round episode.....AND I HELPED!!! Shocked Shocked

This is the tank that the episode took place on....(2 days after this photo was taken....)

WARNING: NOT TO BE ATTEMPTED AT HOME..... Mr. Green

Don

#5: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:22 pm
    ----
How to tighten end connectors. Presumably, they don't do it this way now. Crewman scoots along the ground backwards on his butt as tank advances s-l-o-w-l-y. Builds crew trust, too!

#6: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:31 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
How to tighten end connectors. Presumably, they don't do it this way now. Crewman scoots along the ground backwards on his butt as tank advances s-l-o-w-l-y. Builds crew trust, too!

I've done some stupid SH** in my career, but nothing like that.....!!!

For Joe D (or any M1 tankers out there)....ever try to adjust the neutral steer on the M-1, while engine running, back deck off, and causing a 'run-away'....!!! Mr. Green

Better than an 'E-ticket' ride at Disney land!!! Talk about getting dizzy... Shocked

Cool
Don

#7: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:34 pm
    ----
Here's another for you.....

All ground personnel had only kevlar with ear plugs.....

Perhaps one of the many reasons why I have some loss of hearing..!!! Shocked

Mr. Green
Don

#8: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

Your dog and pony show reminded me of the 1/63rd Armor at Ft. Riley KS back in 1968/69.

When a Sheridan went down range during tank gunnery training and annual quals, a M151 Jeep with trailier would follow it along. After each engagement, the tank would stop while the jeep pulled up behind. The passenger would jump out, go back to the trailier and pick up one 152mm main gun round, walk up along side the tank and conduct something like your 'dog and pony show'. The early Sheridans had a bit of a problem with burning embers blowing back into the turret. Not a good thing.

Some of my old history!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:10 pm
    ----
Hi Roy, Dontos, Doug, and everyone else,

Had a busy weekend.

Doug, yep done the same kinda track maintenance on M60's. You would never dream of doing this with an M1 because it took off and jumped too much using the drive train it had. On the 60 all the driver had to do is turn the T-Bar and the tank would stop. Release and the idle would let her roll forward slowly. Very smooth action. Never had to touch the gas pedal in the level motorpool. We had T-142 track so we also changed out track pads this way, having a troop under the tank holding the pad in place for the inner track until the soldier with the impact gun from the M88 could wrench it down. This was before electric impacts, Jedi tankers and Bradley guys got those later. If you got good the tank hardly stopped.

Stupidest thing I ever done was when I was a Corporal setting pack on an A1 (M60) and the pack mounting foot was not on correctly to set it. I crawled in the hull with it suspended above me to fix it in order to save time. Later that month an 88 failed and dropped a pack. I was used to good equipment in Germany, not the junk in Riley. Talk about an awakening Shocked

Amazed to survived my youth,
Joe D

#10: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:25 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Hi Roy, Dontos, Doug, and everyone else,

Had a busy weekend.

Doug, yep done the same kinda track maintenance on M60's. You would never dream of doing this with an M1 because it took off and jumped too much using the drive train it had. On the 60 all the driver had to do is turn the T-Bar and the tank would stop. Release and the idle would let her roll forward slowly. Very smooth action. Never had to touch the gas pedal in the level motorpool. We had T-142 track so we also changed out track pads this way, having a troop under the tank holding the pad in place for the inner track until the soldier with the impact gun from the M88 could wrench it down. This was before electric impacts, Jedi tankers and Bradley guys got those later. If you got good the tank hardly stopped.

Amazed to survived my youth,
Joe D

Told ya' so!
When I told troopers that at Irwin in '03, they looked at me liked they were sure I was lying through my teeth....or just plain crazy. Some just kinda' cocked their heads like puzzled dogs, others glanced at each other with that "yeah, sure" expression. I got the same quizzical looks when I described the boresight procedure.

Laughing

#11: Re: O/T SAFETY AWARDS LOL Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:28 pm
    ----
I was under a Centurion in my early army days replacing an access plate when another member of the crew ignored the 'Do not move' sign, climbed in, started it up and did a right turn and drove away... I was underneath frantically rolling around to stay out of the tracks before it stopped turning and moved away. Needless to say I pursued him and when he stopped felled him with one blow of the wrench. He complained to the troop sgt who replied that it was 'justifiable attempted homicide'

I often wonder what might have happened has it happened 20 years later when I was a bit more portly and a tight fit under an AFV...

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board