Any News on the Borden Panther?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Any News on the Borden Panther? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:59 am
    ----
Anyone heard anything on the ex. Borden Panther now at CWM Ottawa? Has the restoration started?

#2: Re: Any News on the Borden Panther? Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:04 pm
    ----
When I was at the museum in March I was told that the vehicle is supposed to be completed in November and go on public display then (presumably in the LaBreton Gallery). From what I could see, it appeared that the turret was removed at that time. I suspect it will just be a cosmetic restoration, since I'm not sure that the museum has either the time or resources to give it the "Littlefield treatment." I could be wrong, though. Regardless, I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

Cheers,

Scott

#3: Re: Any News on the Borden Panther? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:53 pm
    ----
Good news! Thank's Scott!

Rik

#4: Re: Any News on the Borden Panther? Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:18 pm
    ----
Richard, Scott:

Not sure how you define restoration but work has been done on the beast. As Scott says it will not be the full up, running restoration that was originally mentioned- CWM does not have the money, staff or political will for that.
Rather it will be the cosmetic version - how detailed I don't know. Transmission, radiators, engines were all removed to facilitate clean up of the interior. My concern is that most of the original paint and fittings- and this was remarkably complete for sitting outside neglected for so long- will probably disappear.

As of June the roll out date is expected to be February 2008.

#5: Re: Any News on the Borden Panther? Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:21 pm
    ----
Richard,
Hmm can't seem to link recent photos so drop me a line and I'll send them along.

Bruce
wbruceclark @ hotmail.com

#6: Re: Any News on the Borden Panther? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:38 pm
    ----
What means "most of the fittings will disappear" ???

P-O

#7: Re: Any News on the Borden Panther? Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:00 pm
    ----
As noted this vehicle was really well preserved inside. The original paint is still evident though rusted in places.All the electrical wiring, hoses, straps were still there including working springs and leather straps on the ready round racks on the turret sides. The sheet metal cover on the tranny was rusted away as were the seat frames and springs. The traverse and elevation mechanism on the gun turret is still greased and turns easily even after years in the Canadian outdoors- Hell, my Passat door locks freeze up!

As they try to clean up surface rust to "cosmetically restore" the interior many of these delicate fittings will disintegrate under handling. And the original paint will be covered.

While I admire CWM's "rescue" of the vehicle, I wish that they had left the interior preserved unrestored.

Bruce

#8: Re: Any News on the Borden Panther? Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:47 pm
    ----
Hi Bruce:

Thanks for the update. It's amazing that it held up so well under the weather conditions it had to deal with.

I'm a bit disappointed (and surprised) to hear about the interior. A varnish over the original paint (perhaps with something to stabilize the rust, if possible) might have been a better approach.

Do you have any idea whether a zimmerit coating will be applied? I do remember the zimmerit over the suspension still being more or less in place the last time I saw the tank.

Now if only somebody would do something to bring the Wirbelwind inside.

Cheers,

Scott

#9: Re: Borden Wirbelwind Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:32 pm
    ----
Hi Scott,
Roger on the Wirbelwind. Have you seen it since they sandblasted, repainted it and plated over the turret?

Was at the new Borden museum that opened with fanfare in June 2 weeks ago. Major disappointment- all they've done is bring the old displays from the old building inside a brand new building. There is still no real rhyme nor reason for some of the stuff in there, no real story of the Base.
One interesting room is to be populated by 1/72 models of every aircraft used by Canadian Air Forces. Display was about half complete but models were sittng on shelves without glass and many aerials, propellers were already broken off from handling by public. And they have the library in an open room with a number of rare and historic books on open display. With only one commissionaire at the entrance, how long do you figure before the good stuff walks?

Ah, Borden...

Bruce

-> AFV News Discussion Board