Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:02 am
    ----
While here at Ft Hood, I have researched three M41's. One is in the 4ID collection and two belong to 1st CAV. What I have information wise is that the serials are 2323 and 2329, as well as possibly 2982, (last one is hard to read).
The 4ID one, serial 2323, was aquired from Red River Army Depot 1 Feb 1971 and is listed as an M41A2.
The two M41's in the 1st CAV collection were "absorbed" into the collection from the previous 1st Armored collection. The vehicle with the hard serial to read, (2982) has a casting date of 12-22-52 on the hull, located right behind the driver hatch, which neither of the other two M41's has.
I have at least 8 pictures of each vehicle if there are any requests. Same goes for the two M24 Chaffee's that are located here.

#2: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: jagjetta PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:47 pm
    ----
Jeff,
After David Doyle and I produced the photo-book M41 Walker Bulldog (distributed by Stevens International), I continued to to collect information on these very interesting vehicles. I would love to see your pics! (Send me high res images that I could actually use in a future publication and I will be happy to send you a copy of the Walker book Smile

John A-G
militarycollector @ gmail.com
Iola, Wisconsin

#3: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:48 pm
    ----
Jeff,
What other info are you looking for?

#4: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:22 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I have at least 8 pictures of each vehicle if there are any requests. Same goes for the two M24 Chaffee's that are located here.

This is like the proverbial bear in the woods, right? Smile Bring them on, Jeff, you know there are more than enough takers here...

Thanks in advance,

Jens O.

#5: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:38 am
    ----
"Jens", I'll post them soon. I was going to do it now when I realized I left my thumb-drive at work.

"Jagjetta", shoot me a PM and leave me your e-mail address and I'll get those photo's to you. Do you have any other requests?

"Toadman", I'm looking for build dates / manufacture, proper USA numbers, possible action seen and unit's affliated with, etc... just about anything, (asking alot huh?!). I've got the M26 pictures as well. Did I send them to you already?

#6: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:57 am
    ----
Thanks Jeff,

looking forward to it. Possible action seen is easy with US Army M41s- none whatsoever, zip, zilch, nada... You get the picture. Only action has been with users abroad, namely the Republic of South Viet Nam, Lebanese M41s may have been involved in one of the local actions, but information is rather sketchy, and of course with the 2506 Assault Brigade in the Bay of Pigs, where they distinguished themselves against Cuban tanks until their ammo ran out.

Taiwanese M41s didn't see action I know of, same goes for Danish, German and Greek, but the Danes and Taiwanese rebuilt and upgraded theirs.

Jens O.

#7: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:51 am
    ----
M41s also seem to be a fixture in Palace Coups during the '60s and 70s. I can't remember any off the top of my head but there is the semipermanent image of pictures of M41s at Palace gates during 'Changes of Government' of several 3rd (or 4th) world countries of the time

#8: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:03 am
    ----
- bsmart
M41s also seem to be a fixture in Palace Coups during the '60s and 70s. I can't remember any off the top of my head but there is the semipermanent image of pictures of M41s at Palace gates during 'Changes of Government' of several 3rd (or 4th) world countries of the time

...and during the events in Thailand in the last year or two.

Brasil modded/upgraded M-41's much as Taiwan did as the M-41C "Caxias"....nice downoadable pdf file here:
www.defesa.ufjf.br/fts/M41.pdf

#9: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:08 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Yep,

a few off the top of my head: Viet Nam (didn't they have a nick like "voting machines"?), Chile, and I think Portugal. They were also used during some domestic, ahm, "disturbances" in the US, if memory serves,

Also let's not forget that it battled monsters intent on ravaging Japan when the M24s were retired. Mr. Green

Jens O.

#10: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: JimLewisLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:02 pm
    ----
I love Walker BullDogs - any and all information is most appreciated and valued! Smile

#11: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:46 am
    ----
I have made contacts for WWII armor, Patton family tanks, Halftracks, and jeeps. But I can't find an person with knowledge on M41 Walker Bulldogs. This rather suprises me since everyone seems to like them. I just wanted to keep this thread alive a little longer in hopes that someone will respond with some info. Here are pictures of the three M41's here at Ft Hood. I have complete walk arounds and serial info for those that are curious. Thanks,

#12: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:13 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

I am not surpised that no one is popping up and talking about the M41. I only remember knowing ONE individual who had served on the M41 during it's time with the US Army.
By the time I had joined the Army (1968) the Cav unit at Ft. Riley was using M60/M60A1 tanks. I always though it looked a little funny everytime I saw a M114 racing along followed by a M60/M60A1.
That vehicle came out near the end of the Korean War (mid-1950s) and by the mid, to late 1960, was already out of service. I wonder just now many years the US Army used it?

Some of my old history.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#13: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:08 pm
    ----
Jeff, I have collected a good bit of info on M41s (feature variations by S/N mostly) but don't have anything on build dates. Postwar stuff is hard to find.

One thing I'd like to get sorted out is the vehicle S/N vs. the build number. If you look at the rear hull plate by the tow lug there is a sheet metal rectangle tacked on, usually with two numbers stamped in. One is the S/N, one is the B/N. I'm looking for someone with inside access to the data plate to compare the inside data plate with the outside MWO plate. (Toadman tried but couldn't get good numbers of any his locals.) BTW, this applies to M42 Dusters as well.

KL

#14: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:54 pm
    ----
Is that the same rectangle that has a bunch of squares on it that have had numbers stamped in (As I recall it, I don't have a picture handy) that I've seen on M42s? I always thought that that was a physical record that stayed with the vehicle about which modifications (In the air Force we called them TCTOs, Time Compliance Technical Orders) had been done to the vehicle. Is that what the information is or is it something different?

#15: Re: Looking for M41 Walker Bulldog experts.... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:19 pm
    ----
Bob:

Yup, that's it, immediately above the right rear tow lug:

The top of the plate is one "data field" with two close numbers, such as 2101 2109. One is the B/N, one the S/N (according to the Tech Manual) but I don't know which. Hopefully someone can photo the MWO plate and the US data plate on the same vehicle (M41 or M42) and pass it on.

. . . And while you are in an M41, I'd like to see a photo of the inside of the turret nose casing that might show how the lift lugs are attached. From the outside it looks like the fit into holes drilled into the casting.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board