Broken Arrows....
-> Officer's Club

#1: Broken Arrows.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:55 pm
    ----

www.globalsecurity.org...-arrow.htm

#2: Re: Broken Arrows.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:21 pm
    ----
I have a book where the first incident with the B-36 is discussed in detail by Richard C. Kirkland, the helicopter pilot who was involved in the SAR for the downed crew. Interesting story, as there weren't many helos available back then and he was flying a Sikorsky H-5 which is a pretty small bird, and the only one available in the whole NW area.

Anyway, the interesting part is the finding of the aircraft wreckage, which in that article is described simply as being "found later"......as a matter of fact it was several years (like a decade or two) and the wreckage was found by a gold miner back in the hills. It seems the icing conditions that contributed to the aircraft loss brought it down (unpiloted) very gently into warmer air and the theory is as the ice melted it came off one wing first, forcing the aircraft to turn until the icing on the other wing came off, at which point the aircraft straightened up and flew many hundreds of miles inland. Kirkland says he found out about the aircraft being found only by chance, reading a small article in the newspaper many years later. And it's doubtful that we misplaced two B-36's, what with the large-ish size and whatnot. Wink

Gotta believe him......he was also a P-38 pilot in WWII and one of the first air rescue helo pilots in Korea.

#3: Re: Broken Arrows.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:14 am
    ----
Hi JG300-Stoopy, Hi Folks!

- JG300-Stoopy

....it's doubtful that we misplaced two B-36's, what with the large-ish size and whatnot. Wink

I remember reading a story about finding that crashed B36 in Canada. As for the USAF losing two B36s, I also remember reading a story about one that came up missing during an annual inventory. It remained missing for almost a year before someone noticed the tail number as they were driving by it.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Broken Arrows.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:21 pm
    ----
Hiya Roy!

I'll bet there were a few red faces that day!!!!! Laughing

And....hmmm......(rubs chin)........I wonder if a year would be enoug time for some sneaky rooskies to have heisted that thing, taken it apart and made a copy before reassembling and returning it to a conviently overlooked spot....makes ya wonder almost!!!

-> Officer's Club