Soviet armor attack!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Soviet armor attack! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:26 pm
    ----
See Godless hordes of communist tanks sweeping through Fulda and Hof! See them repelled by two American and two German Corps! Equipped with AH-56 Cheyenne, AH-1 Cobras, OH-6A's, UH-1s, M60A1s and M551 Sheridans, we will prevail, fueled by our spirit, and by the purity of our precious..bodily....fluids.

MS Media Player, 28 minutes, free. Download and view at your leisure. Mix a drink first for maximum enjoyment....

"Employment of Attack Helicopters to Defeat Armor Threat in Europe in the Mid-1970's (U) "- That's a mouthful! Cold War-era film made in 1970 on how we were going to defend against those Communists (28-minutes)

www.redstone.army.mil/...rs_web.wmv

Other great stuff here, or if you have trouble with the direct link:

www.redstone.army.mil/...lcome.html

#2: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:24 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:48 pm
    ----
So - who didn't notice that the tank (other than the Sherman) being struck by missiles during the film and burning at the end was a T30?

Solves the mystery of what happened to the missing prototype...

Cool

#4: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:54 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
So - who didn't notice that the tank (other than the Sherman) being struck by missiles during the film and burning at the end was a T30?

Solves the mystery of what happened to the missing prototype...

Cool

I was too surprized at how light it was at zero-four-hundred-hours in Germany to notice! Laughing And, thankful for that 10:1 kill ratio of the Cheyenne that kept us from having to employ those tactical nukes...close call!

#5: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:46 pm
    ----
Thanks for the link, Doug! There's a film about the Chaparral missile system that was filmed at Ft Bliss during war games. Looks like the 5th ID (Mech) against the 3d ACR. They show M114A2s and M60 tanks. Personally, I've never heard of the Cheyenne. I'd better do some research Sad

#6: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:51 pm
    ----
Grrreat, some interesting stuff there and what a flashback... Wink

#7: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:06 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Thanks for the link, Doug! There's a film about the Chaparral missile system that was filmed at Ft Bliss during war games. Looks like the 5th ID (Mech) against the 3d ACR. They show M114A2s and M60 tanks. Personally, I've never heard of the Cheyenne. I'd better do some research Sad

AH-56 was all the rage when I was in...I still have a few Aviation Digests and it was like the second coming. It was very fast (being a compound design) and very expensive. Coming at a bad time (and in competition with some other programs, and there was always that pesky Air Force) it got canceled after some accidents and budget cuts. Led, indirectly to the Apache (more protection and armament, but at less speed). Sure was purty, though!

#8: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:21 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway

#9: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:19 pm
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the links!

I noticed a some good views of the inside of M577 command track.

Lots of Sheridans doing their rock and roll thing. I would think doing a real defense, they would be firing a lot of missiles before getting close enough to start using the conventional rounds.

Very interesting!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: Soviet armor attack! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:32 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

I would think doing a real defense, they would be firing a lot of missiles before getting close enough to start using the conventional rounds.

Very interesting!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Roy...
Well, that was the official line, anyway. Assuming they had lots of missiles, the systems were aligned, they hit anything with the first one, and they survived long enough for a second shot.

And all this presupposes the WP was in range during daylight hours. At night, that missile was useless (unless someone else was feeling suicidal enough to illuminate that target for them with white light for an extended period).

D.

-> AFV News Discussion Board