Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #8 (finale)
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #8 (finale) Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:59 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bob (A109) Hi Folks!

As individuals, we know only bits and pieces, but as a group WE know EVERYTHING! Razz Razz Razz Razz

Why do I have this suspicious feeling that more than one of us has been called a know-it-all by his contemporaries- and not just once? Wink

Everybody knows a know-it-all... He may be as close as the mirror. Laughing

#17: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #8 (finale) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:48 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!
That is a M106. The brackets on the side are for the larger part of the base plate and the support arm that holds front leg out in front of the base plate for dismounted operations. Note the smaller center part of the base plate is carried on the right rear fender.

The M125s carried the base plate on top the hull, in front of the cargo hatch to the left rear of the TC's cuplola. There was a cover that protected the tripod which was carried in the area between the cargo hatch and the engine grills to the right of the TC's cuplola.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

D'oh- I was so fixated with the roof hatch mounts I didn't even notice the brackets... Now where is the smiley that bangs his head on the wall?

*cough, cough*
Not, M59, but M113 family. Maybe an M106 type as I think the mounts on the side may be for the mortar baseplate. Without a view of the top hatch, hard for me to say for sure, but I think I see hinges for side opening hatches consistant with mortar carrier...somebody else will know.
Laughing

#18: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #8 (finale) Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:01 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Jens_O_Mehner
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!
That is a M106. The brackets on the side are for the larger part of the base plate and the support arm that holds front leg out in front of the base plate for dismounted operations. Note the smaller center part of the base plate is carried on the right rear fender.

The M125s carried the base plate on top the hull, in front of the cargo hatch to the left rear of the TC's cuplola. There was a cover that protected the tripod which was carried in the area between the cargo hatch and the engine grills to the right of the TC's cuplola.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

D'oh- I was so fixated with the roof hatch mounts I didn't even notice the brackets... Now where is the smiley that bangs his head on the wall?

*cough, cough*
Not, M59, but M113 family. Maybe an M106 type as I think the mounts on the side may be for the mortar baseplate. Without a view of the top hatch, hard for me to say for sure, but I think I see hinges for side opening hatches consistant with mortar carrier...somebody else will know.
Laughing

What was that I just wrote about know-it-alls? Razz My dear Sir, I was composing my post while you posted yours and I couldn't see what you wrote- I'm not that dumb... Dense, OK, but not dumb. Wink

#19: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #8 (finale) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:43 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- Doug_Kibbey
- Jens_O_Mehner
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

*cough, cough*
Laughing

What was that I just wrote about know-it-alls? Razz My dear Sir, I was composing my post while you posted yours and I couldn't see what you wrote- I'm not that dumb... Dense, OK, but not dumb. Wink

Hey, you were four minutes behind, we expect you to pick your cues faster! Laughing

#20: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #8 (finale) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:27 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- bsmart
Anyone notice something unusual about the C-130?

"Roman Nose" A-Model with three-bladed props, why do you ask? Cool

Yea an A model, only the first 220 or so of the thousands of Hercs had the 3 blades Sort of strange to see what appears to be a later era camo job on the early model plane

#21: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #8 (finale) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:14 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart
- Jens_O_Mehner
- bsmart
Anyone notice something unusual about the C-130?

"Roman Nose" A-Model with three-bladed props, why do you ask? Cool

Yea an A model, only the first 220 or so of the thousands of Hercs had the 3 blades Sort of strange to see what appears to be a later era camo job on the early model plane

Bob! We see later era camo jobs on AFVs that never carried such paint jobs! Why should the Air Force be any different?

Considering how old and the uses the first C130s were put to, I am surprised to learn that an "A" model is still around.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#22: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #8 (finale) Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:47 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Bob! We see later era camo jobs on AFVs that never carried such paint jobs! Why should the Air Force be any different?

Considering how old and the uses the first C130s were put to, I am surprised to learn that an "A" model is still around.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Actually, I seem to remember another one that was recently seen at an airshow in the US that was grey- or am I confused again and it was a historic photo?

Incidentally, in its rebuilt form as a later model, there should be a few more A-models around, IIRC they were converted to C-130Es and AC-130s later in their career.

-> AFV News Discussion Board