M55 or M53 SPG
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M55 or M53 SPG Author: ossie PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:24 am
    ----
Dear all

I am looking for a crew member of one these great vehicles. I need to ask some question to do with these vehicles. These questions are specifically aimed at crew member. Thank you ossie

#2: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: oldertop PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:34 pm
    ----
And what do you want to know...although I wasn't a crewmen I did my time on the cross and a Brty maint chief.

#3: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: ossie PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:40 pm
    ----
Oldertop
Thank you

I want to know if there was any external stowage other then the tool rack on the turret or track links , For instance was distance marker posts stored, tarpaulins, camouflage nets if so where.

Ho was the Bag charges stowed on the left hand side of the turret were they stowed in there ammo cases. Where the shells are stowed on the right would they have the lifting eyes fitted to the shell or not.
Was there any radio equipment if so where was it stowed and where the aerial was.
Finally were all the M55/M53 use the same drivers stick or was the M55 converted to tiller bar only?

Also gun markings or call signs other then tack signs, looking for both M55 & M53 both were they were used in US , Germany and Vietnam, also other nations Germany, Italian, Belgium service.

Reason for these questions is I am building a resin kit master for a manufacture
Thank you
Ossie

#4: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: oldertop PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:30 pm
    ----
The M53 and 55 could have ether the "joy or wobble stick" or the yoke type, the yoke was perfered because the joy stick had the shifting detent lock lever on the front of it and crewmen could disingage it and shift to reverse while moving foreward (not a good thing at 20 to 30 mph).
The interior differs between the vehicles, the M55 had a rammer bolted to the cab deck and a electric winch running on a track on the cab roof and upper cab hatch, most arty units didn't carry projo or powder cans inside the vehicle (ya, I know there are racks inside...(but that doesn't mean they used them, in Nam M109s carried one HE and one fuse and one powder can for "just-in-case" direct fire some times) while making a movement, projo were left with the ringbolts in till the FDC called in the mission at which time the type of or settings for the fuses and bag charge was relayed.
Camo nets were normaly draped ove the cab along with the poles (2x2s with a 1/4 section of a tire nailed over the end to keep the poles from damaging the nets) you see in some pictures racks welded to the outside divers and commands doors, the are OEM boxes on the side fenders...gezz its been a long time, need to look over what information I still have.

#5: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: ossie PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:47 pm
    ----
thank you , this now makes more sense, i have pictures of M53 with rear rammer fitted but no roof cradel.
any thing else would be gartefull.
thanks ossie

#6: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:22 pm
    ----
Ossie,
I have some M53 pics on my site that may be of use to you:

M53

#7: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: ossie PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:23 pm
    ----
Toad master

Thank you just what the doctor ordered,
It helps me so much. These two vehicles I thought would be a easy project OPPS!! I was wrong by a long way, the suspension is complicated let alone the inside of the turret. My aim is to have the Complete Hull build by end of this week which does not leave me much time. Thank goodness for a bank holiday tomorrow. Then the turret I have built the basic shell which again is complicated.
I have to have the basic built by 23rd September for M55 & M53 this does not include interiors , but I want to do this as well if I get time so people can leave all the doors open. A rather big challenge.
By the off chance do you have any Pictures of Littlefields M55
Thank you very much
Ossie

#8: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:16 am
    ----
Hi Ossie,
Sorry but I don't have anything on Littlefield's M55 as of yet. As much as I'd like to help, I probably won't be able to get back to his place for pics until the end of September. Also, I don't know what condition the interior of his M55 is in. If by chance I'm able to get up there in the next week or two, I'll do what I can to get pics for you.

#9: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:28 am
    ----
- oldertop

Camo nets were normaly draped ove the cab along with the poles (2x2s with a 1/4 section of a tire nailed over the end to keep the poles from damaging the nets) ...

That's a clever idea. The Canadian issue fibreglass poles have a hinge legged spreader affair with web crosspieces - to do the same thing. I guess someone never bothered to ask for suggestions from the field. Although, no one could be tempted to build a field latrine with that 2x2 lumber.

#10: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: oldertop PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:20 pm
    ----
Many marine units used the 2x4s with the tires, I can remember watching crew and section (selfpropelled arty crews in the U.S. miltary were called sections) sawing tires into section, Ontos (@#$#@#$ PIGs) crews did the same, who knew what a fibregass pole was in 1960s, oh and we had prefab "4 holers" out of plywood painted MC green. Laughing

#11: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: ossie PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:51 pm
    ----
hi ya

i thought you might to see the beast , there is still alot of work to be done ie turret and i am building the spade at the moment, i have been building this for several years but now i am completeing it for the end of the month.

did not realise how BIG it is.
s54.photobucket.com/al...ztank/M55/
hope you like Ossie

#12: Re: M55 or M53 SPG Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:58 pm
    ----
Hi Ossie! Hi Folks!

OUTSTANDING SIR! Thanks for showing me your work!

Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board