Report from Ordnance Museum trip
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:04 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
You may have noted - or Bob probably pointed out - that the Sherman has an experimental HVSS suspension.
Neil

Thats the Allis-Chalmers suspension - one of two different allis-chalmers suspensions tested on Shermans IIRC. The other one is here...

Cool

#32: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:35 pm
    ----
I will say that the markings on the M2 are starting to peel (They are decals) That tank was done at least 5 years ago. I talked to the folks at the Refurb shop. They now paint the vehicle, apply the markings and then put an overall clearcoat on it. So although it would be better if the vehicles were indoors the new paint is holding up well, and the later paintjobs will hold up even better. All we need to do is correct many years of low budgets Sad

#33: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Freiherr_KieferLocation: Washington sectional PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:45 am
    ----
der panzer III is really a Panzer IV, I'm bad on wheeled vehicles but better on tanks Razz

#34: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:51 am
    ----
Hi Freiherr! Hi Folks!

- Freiherr_Kiefer
der panzer III is really a Panzer IV, I'm bad on wheeled vehicles but better on tanks Razz

Good catch! I missed the file name error when I looked at that one!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#35: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:27 am
    ----
Thanks for the pics everyone. Smile

#36: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:29 pm
    ----
- Freiherr_Kiefer

The wee gun threw me and I was in a hurry. Those WWII "tools of the Hun" I admit I don't follow so closely (unless they fly, in which case I have some "contacts" over in that rowdy JG300 bunch I can ask Laughing ). In fact, I'm pretty much a rank amateur on pre-cold war/Vietnam by comparison to you guys.

Thanks for the correction!

#37: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:52 pm
    ----
And some more....

#38: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:18 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

Looks like Lulu Bell could use some new springs in that front bogie.

I like the looks of the Pre-Lingle. I wonder if that turret was hand cranked or powered?

Thanks for the photos!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#39: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:06 am
    ----
But it was "Lulubelle", it did not have a cast hull, and the USA # should be blue... Sad

The haunted tank was an M3 and later an M3A1 (have to dig out my old G.I. Combat issues) and that whole nickname thingy is a bit over the top... Et tu, Aberdeen?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put the efforts of APG down, and I'm grateful that these old vehicles get a new lease on life, but I wish it would be less contemporary. *sigh*

#40: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:03 pm
    ----
Yeah, I'll admit the restoration folks sometimes get a flair for putting nicknames & such on the vehicles. For example, the M18 Hellcat "Fearless Felix" is actually the T70 Hellcat pilot vehicle, with an entirely different RN than is painted on it. In most cases they have chosen to paint them as some notable historical vehicle rather than their actual identity...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

#41: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:21 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
, the M36 Hellcat "Fearless Felix" is actually the T70 Hellcat pilot vehicle, with an entirely different RN than is painted on it. In most cases they have chosen to paint them as some notable historical vehicle rather than their actual identity...

Neil

You do mean the M18 hellcat right

I'm going to stay out of the 'names on tanks' discussion. I've discussed it with the folks up there before.

#42: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:45 pm
    ----
Oh yeah - I can make mistakes every now & then Wink

Neil

#43: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:33 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner
Oh yeah - I can make mistakes every now & then Wink

Neil

Neil, that wasn't a mistake, that was an alertness check to see if anyone is paying attention. In this case, Bob (F15) passed the test.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#44: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:37 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

Looks like Lulu Bell could use some new springs in that front bogie.

I like the looks of the Pre-Lingle. I wonder if that turret was hand cranked or powered?

Thanks for the photos!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

"Pre-Lingle" turret closeup, for any interested parties...

-> AFV News Discussion Board