Leo firefighting tank
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Leo firefighting tank Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:32 pm
    ----
A report on Deutsche Welle T.V.'s English service last night regarding the terrible Greek wildfires showed a firefighting rig based on a Leopard chassis roaring into action.

The superstructure consisted of a large water or chemical foam tank. Naturally the vehicle was painted red and and had lots of flashing lights. I couldn't tell whether this equipment belonged to the Greeks or one of the EU nations that just started helping fight the fires.

#2: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:39 pm
    ----
I think I saw a T-54 somewhere like that. Guess it's called a 'Tanker Tank". Wink

#3: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:46 pm
    ----
Leo?

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xcOQ9RG8XcA80ujzbkF/SIG=121to57ic/EXP=1188402318/**http%3A//www.texogatech.com/photos/Tank05CL.jpg[/img]

#4: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: palic PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:09 pm
    ----
Czechoslovak/Czech vehicles based on T-54/55 are:

SPOT-55 (development of project and production cca 1989-91): forum.valka.cz/viewtop...ZK-SPOT-55

FIREFIGHTER 55 (development of project and production cca 2003-04):
forum.valka.cz/viewtop...FIGHTER-55

#5: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:51 pm
    ----
I found it! The beastie is the Leopard Jumbo PHF 20 T firefighting tank. Based on a de-milled Leo 1 chassis, it features a 20,000 litre tank. Visit www.jumbofiretank.com for details.

#6: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:59 pm
    ----
Reminds of of the old M114 the Germans had at Range Control in Graf. Cut the back off, put tanks on it, painted it red and used it for range fires. Wonder if that where all this started Shocked

Smile
Joe D

#7: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:40 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Reminds of of the old M114 the Germans had at Range Control in Graf. Cut the back off, put tanks on it, painted it red and used it for range fires. Wonder if that where all this started Shocked

Smile
Joe D

Actually the M114s were still property of the US Army and the Graf military fire department, the crew would have been mostly German civilians indeed (local national labor or whatever they were called).

Before the Lingles, I seem to remember they had a similarly converted M3, nowadays they have an M548.

#8: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:26 pm
    ----
Jens,
M548 Neutral , what's cool about that, Didn't know of the M3, it was probably pretty cool like the M114. It's all about the cool points isn't it? BTW, I spent 2 years at Buedingen with 3AD, 3-12 CAV. You aren't that far from there. I still miss my Liecher Beer today.

Joe D

#9: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:32 pm
    ----
Joe, I was in C Troop 3/12 Cav from '73 to '76.

#10: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:50 pm
    ----
Mark,
A troop 3-12, 84-86. Swingen' Buedingen. I heard they are finally going to close old Armstrong Barracks. The local town always treated us well. You must have been on M551's then. Had a few TC's that were there when they had them. Seemed like they never wanted to leave that place.

Joe

#11: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:57 pm
    ----
My second month there we turned in five M114A2's and went to Vilseck and drew three M551's (per platoon) and attended a "Sheridan Transition" course. This may be the barracks you were in:

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mz0p9RGA0wBxF.jzbkF/SIG=1337n4gom/EXP=1188428148/**http%3A//www.3ad.org/kasernen/area_budingen/budingen_images/armstrong_c1956_1.jpg[/img]

#12: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:06 pm
    ----
That's them,
Second floor the two windows above the "U.P." station which is the corner facing us covered in red sandstone blocks. My room that I shared with 5 other guys, all scouts.

Joe D

#13: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:59 am
    ----
Oh yeah,

I know Armstrong barracks well, if memory serves, they'll be empty soon, along with that motor pool in the field between Armstrong and the airfield.

Yep, the M548 doesn't do much for coolness, does it? Nothing cut down or removed, borrrring... Neutral

There seems to be certain affection among US soldiers for Licher Bier, which shows they can progress past Bud, PBR and Colt 45. Laughing Did you know that Licher restarted as an US Army brewery after the war?

From what I hear, there are a few outlets for Licher in the US, if you'd like, I could check with the brewery- shipping the 5 liter "Party" barrels would be a tad bit too expensive, plus I don't know if they'd pass US customs.

Jens O.

#14: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:09 pm
    ----
Jens, When I was in Budingen the motor pool you refer to belonged to the 3/61st ADA. They were a Chaparral/Vulcan unit. I remember once we had a Puerto Rican Infantryman named "Seijo" on guard duty out there with a baseball bat. A man came to the gate and pulled a gun on him and started asking about the equipment there. Seijo pretended not to speak English and the guy got frustrated and left. After that I think we started carrying M-16's again!

#15: Re: Leo firefighting tank Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:34 pm
    ----
Weed,

in later years 3/61 moved up in the world and had their motor pool in newly constructed buildings in Armstrong Barracks, the outpost motor pool came into the care either of the cav element stationed there, but I can't remember the designation anymore, might have been 3/8 prior to being reflagged as an 1 AD unit.

Ah yes, guard duty, many many stories...

-> AFV News Discussion Board