Translation of an arabic number
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Translation of an arabic number Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:43 pm
    ----
Who can help me with the translation of this number?
The first should be a one and the third should be a 2 reading from left to right.

Regards,
Lesley

P.S. It is the Iraqi Type 59 at Hohne Camp, Germany

#2: Re: Translation of an arabic number Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:28 pm
    ----
Arabic Numerals

Looks like 152. I don't think the last is a digit.

#3: Re: Translation of an arabic number Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:39 pm
    ----
Post Removed: Bad Link

Last edited by MarkHolloway on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Translation of an arabic number Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:40 am
    ----
While Arabic letters are written from right-to-left, numbers in Arabic are written from left-to-right.

#5: Re: Translation of an arabic number Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:33 am
    ----
This was the battle board # of my tank during the M1A2 IOTE in 1993 at Ft Hood.

Never knew what it meant, but guess who 'we' were posing as during that test. I was the TC of a 3-man "T-80U" in a 3 &1 platoon configuration.

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Translation of an arabic number Author: chrisweeks PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:43 pm
    ----
I hate to say it Don, but that number plate is upside down. It's supposed to say 479.

#7: Re: Translation of an arabic number Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:42 am
    ----
- chrisweeks
I hate to say it Don, but that number plate is upside down. It's supposed to say 479.

This is how we were 'instructed' to display the supposed arabic battle bored.

For you modelors, notice any 'special' equipment mounted?

several years ago, I did a 1/35 scale Tamaya M1A1 and attempted to fabricate the special 'test' equipment.

Don

#8: Re: Translation of an arabic number Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:04 am
    ----
- Dontos
This is how we were 'instructed' to display the supposed arabic battle bored.

For you modelors, notice any 'special' equipment mounted?

several years ago, I did a 1/35 scale Tamaya M1A1 and attempted to fabricate the special 'test' equipment.

Don

You mean the toaster instead of the smoke launcher? Mr. Green

#9: Re: Translation of an arabic number Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 am
    ----
A different view.

I'll try to find a better shot...

Smoke Grenade ( L & R sides of turret) boxes were replaced with 12 gauge weapons firing simulators.

But much more...
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board