M60A3
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A3’s in Smyrna TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:39 pm
    ----
Hello everyone,

Here are pictures of the M60A3’s in the Steward AFB complex in Smyrna Tennessee.

The first one is SN 1919, RN JJ06AC, Notice that this tank still has the TTS, grenade launchers and grenade stowage boxes installed. The AFV register has this tank listed as an M60A0. It is located in front of the CSMS Building in the old Steward AFB area. It is on the corner of 8th and “G� street. It is not in the Gated Air Base complex and is accessible to the public.

This one is SN 3880A, RN 09B0968. I found this tank purely by accident along with the M114 I posted. It is on the secured complex and is located in front of building 635.

Notice this tank has been stripped of the TTS, grenade launchers and stowage boxes.

This tank was a BDE Commanders and has the second antenna set up behind the cupola. This second antenna is on a matching unit also for a Receiver/Transmitter unit, which means there were two complete radios on this tank instead of an AN/VRC-12 with an Auxiliary receiver only. I’d be willing to bet if you could get inside the ammo racks located behind the loader in the turret were removed to accommodate this along with a smaller map board or table. Our BC when I was in 1-63 Armor had a similar set up. You’d just loose 21 of the 63 rounds you could carry, leaving 42. Loader still had the 13 on the turret floor ready rack.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board