This one is for OlderTop!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: This one is for OlderTop! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:45 am
    ----
Hi Top! Hi Folks!

If I remember right, you are not into building scale models but though you might enjoy seeing this model kit.

The link is to Terry Ashley's PMMS site.
Click on "New Kit News"
Look for 13 Sept and click on "Perfect Scale Modellbau"
Click on the picture of the model for nine more pictures.

www.perthmilitarymodelling.com

A Spanish company is making a resin kit of the M51 ARV!

Update:
Found the web site for the model company:

www.perfect-scale.com

For those with DEEP pockets the asking price is 190.00 Euros Shocked which at today's exchange rate is $263.618 dollars. Crying or Very sad That doesn't sound to bad for such a large resin kit. Shocked

Have any of you folks ever had any dealing with this outfit?

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: oldertop PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:17 pm
    ----
Damn...and I just blew $200 on a new milling jig for M1911A1 frames (moma will never let me get away with it)..sig
Not only that but I have a very good friend who spilts his time between Spain and here.
Oh well, to be truthfull I always had a deep hate for the M51 VTR, they never worked right...ever. I loved my M88A1, she was a sweet running thing that I could always count on, she would work her heart out and only ask for some proper PM in turn, even if she was a little light in the ass!

#3: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:43 pm
    ----
Thanks, Roy. Interesting looking model. Some of the new resin stuff is just astonishing.

#4: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:37 am
    ----

This is 1st Anti-Tank Battalion taken in Dec 65, prior to departure from Camp Pendleton for Okinawa and then Vietnam.

C Co guidon is missing as they had already shipped out with 3rd AT in early 65.

I was fortunate to recieve this photo from an Ontos Vet.

Thought someone might be interested in this unique photo.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:05 pm
    ----
- oldertop
Damn...and I just blew $200 on a new milling jig for M1911A1 frames (moma will never let me get away with it)..sigh

This forum always tolerates temporary digressing into conversing about firearms. But why spend money on a handgun designed in 1911 when John Browning had a better handgun on the table in 1935? Wink

#6: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:07 pm
    ----
Don't confuse newer with better. Laughing

#7: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:34 pm
    ----
I agree, had both, I'll take a 1911 anytime, fewer rounds than the GP35 but a lot more, shall we say, decisive Laughing

Jeff Lewis

#8: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: oldertop PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:04 pm
    ----
Better in what way...oh you mean more bullets and a lighter recoil so the "pansies" could handle it. Now I was a shotgun type in Nam even if my T/O weapon was a M1911A1, Why!! because most of the fighting took place at night and you can't see the sights let along the top of the slide in the dark!!!!!!!!
Oh and I've notice that the USMC is once again issuing rebuilt after-market equipped M1911A1 (they are being re-built at Stone Bay range..six miles from my front door). Because you need to put the bad guys down once and for all and the 45 ACP will do it.
For me there has never been such a thing as over-kill..the messier the better. Mr. Green

#9: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:40 pm
    ----
- oldertop
Better in what way...oh you mean more bullets and a lighter recoil so the "pansies" could handle it. Now I was a shotgun type in Nam even if my T/O weapon was a M1911A1, Why!! because most of the fighting took place at night and you can't see the sights let along the top of the slide in the dark!!!!!!!!

(Well, truth be told, issue 1911 sights are nothing to write home about even in daylight, but I carried an Ithaca M37 on occasion myself Mr. Green . Do like the ol' gub'mint model, but I changed the sights on mine, post-war Wink )

#10: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: oldertop PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:29 pm
    ----
What WW II , Korean war,and Nam era pistol had useable sight (lets include the Browning Hi=power) ..I have a german pistol 08 and the sights (trigger pull too) suck, theres nothing great about the sights on my P-38 or my russian Tokarev or CZ-52..however my CZ-82 sights are not half bad, most "working handweapons (law or military) had miserable sights.
Its only been in the last ten or so years that good combat sights in the lawdog and military hand guns have been on the market, its been a wake-up in the handgun industry..the new fanily of sight for combat uses on the 1911 type are a great improvement.
Now I have a very good set of "combat" 3 white dot on some of my slides (1911) and or rear peep sights with re-worked ramped front sights on many of my pistols. Don't get me wrong, I have never had the idea that handguns were a war winner..they just come in handy sometimes.
I like building 1911s and am now into doing some of machine work myself and there is that little demon living out there at 15 yards that just keeps poking fun at my groups. Twisted Evil

#11: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:43 pm
    ----
- oldertop
Its only been in the last ten or so years that good combat sights in the lawdog and military hand guns have been on the market, its been a wake-up in the handgun industry..the new fanily of sight for combat uses on the 1911 type are a great improvement.
Now I have a very good set of "combat" 3 white dot on some of my slides (1911) and or rear peep sights with re-worked ramped front sights on many of my pistols. Don't get me wrong, I have never had the idea that handguns were a war winner..they just come in handy sometimes.
I like building 1911s and am now into doing some of machine work myself and there is that little demon of there at 15 yards that just keeps poking fun at my groups. Twisted Evil

I had Gary Reeder, another 101st vet (he's now a big shot gunsmith that does fancy custom work for hunters and celebrities, I don't think I could afford him now, but I "knew him when" back in New Mexico) clean this up for me in the mid-80's and I put a set of Wilson Combat's and a Videki speed trigger on it (kept the original's though). My dad gave me this gun before I went to VN...I smuggled it over and back (in pieces, sewn into my packed field jacket w/liner for the return).

This is Gary's site now. Like I say, I think his prices have gone up since I knew him. Mr. Green

www.reedercustomguns.com/

I don't want to steal Randy's bandwidth, but mine shares space with Bob's over here:

www.lcompanyranger.com...5page1.htm

along with Bob's Hi-Power:

www.lcompanyranger.com...mpagei.htm

#12: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:20 pm
    ----
Doug

Nice display. Is that magazine 'heavy or light' ( Shocked Wink Mr. Green )

I was an armorer for 3 years in 85-88. At Ft Hood (85-86) I had M1911A1's made by Remington & Colt. When the unit 'cohort' rotated to Germany, I signed for the Arms Room and was amazed that I now had Remington, Colt, Ithica, & Singer produced M1911A1's. These were ALL WW2 'leave- behind' weapons.

Don

#13: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:19 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- Dontos

I signed for the Arms Room and was amazed that I now had .....
....& Singer produced M1911A1's. These were ALL WW2 'leave- behind' weapons.

Back in 1964 when I went through USMC ITR I was issued a M-1 rifle that was made by Singer.

Some of my old history.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

ITR: Infantry Training Regiment. A bit like US Army 11B infantry AIT. All Marines went through ITR after boot camp and before going on to their MOS schools. That is unless they were going to be 0311's, which in that case they went to an infantry regiment. That was the way it was back in 1964. May have changed sense then.

#14: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:55 am
    ----
- Dontos
Doug

Nice display. Is that magazine 'heavy or light' ( Shocked Wink Mr. Green )

Don

Light. I have an M1991A1 "Compact" the same cannot be said for, however.

#15: Re: This one is for OlderTop! Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:07 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Back in 1964 when I went through USMC ITR I was issued a M-1 rifle that was made by Singer.

Some of my old history.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Oh brother! I hope you are joking about the Singer-made M1 Garand? This has to be one of the biggest myths in Garand circles. No one except a few gunshow cammobellies has ever seen one, despite the efforts of the best connected collectors in the field.

-> AFV News Discussion Board