AFV 'Grave Yard'
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AFV 'Grave Yard' Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:33 pm
    ----
This is the closest image of this remote area.

Boxed area # 5 is the Ontos dumping ground, if I am not mistaken. I have been told by several sources that there are as many as 74, M50A1's at this site.

Other marked sites include mules, M151 series 'jeeps', Mighty mites, SP artillery of various types, Amtracs, and other obsolete, out of service USMC vehicles.

FYI
Don

#2: Re: AFV 'Grave Yard' Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:47 am
    ----
Hmm....okay. 5, 6 & 7 are Ontos, 3 is a mix of USMC M-37's, M151's and M422A1's. 4 are DUKW's, 1 Army and two USMC. 2 are M series 2.5 ton's 1 is where all the P-6 Engineering Amtracks are (all have the 105 howitzer and no Apricots!). The two yeller squares below "7" are M55? Self propelled arty. The area "north" is a strafing area....full of "DU" rounds and several more Ontos, M-41's, M'48's, Amtracks and some other "stuff"....

Don't anybody even THINK about calling the base and asking about any of this..."it doesn't exist" Rolling Eyes

#3: Re: AFV 'Grave Yard' Author: fitzday PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:32 pm
    ----
Is this the "old" graveyard out at 29 Palms. The layout looks familar from all the times I went through there on gun runs in a phrog. Don't recall any ontos though.

#4: Re: AFV 'Grave Yard' Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:41 pm
    ----
No...this isn't the Stumps. It's a bit further north....past Edwards and NW of Irwin.

#5: Re: AFV 'Grave Yard' Author: oldertop PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:12 am
    ----
What are P-6 engineering amtracks with 105 how? Never heard of them.

#6: Re: AFV 'Grave Yard' Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:31 am
    ----
Sorry....should have taken the time to be more specific!

These lovely beasties

www.amtrac.org/2atmc/Tracs/gen2.asp

#7: Re: AFV 'Grave Yard' Author: oldertop PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:28 am
    ----
Thats what I thought you were referring to, that vehicle known to the *"tracktor rats" as the "how 6", the version you picture (A1) you have posted didn't start to come off of the rebuild line till late 1960, you can tell that by the "doghouse" on the rear of the engine compartment deck.
The engineer vehicle known as the "E-1" has a mine plow and line charge launcher...what is this thing you are calling a "apricot"?
* In the Marine lingo a amtractor was known as a "tracktor rat", tankers as "clankers", and arty as "O-8 dumb-dumbs", track mechs were "sh*tfisters".

-> AFV News Discussion Board