Bradley Driver's Night Sight
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:11 pm
    ----
Is this pretty new???????

#2: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:02 pm
    ----

#3: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:12 am
    ----
Are you sure it should be in a public forum?

#4: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:29 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner

Guess that answers my question! It was on display at an air show. It belongs to the 'Experimental Brigade Combat Team' 1st Armored Division.

#5: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:42 am
    ----
From past experience at Airshows at Langley AFB

If it is on display and photos are allowed they expect that it will be noticed. Aircraft that were selected for public display were chosen by what features (antennas, cockpit panels, etc) were installed. I don't see any problem with discussing obvious physical features of vehicles that are placed in open public displays.

I do have a problem with discussing features discovered on vehicles in active operations where the photo was not obtained in an environent that is controlled by the Public Affairs office of the organization.

That said I can also remember times when cockpit contol panels and antennas were changed out on aircraft that were being 'cleaned up' for an base Open House. It is funny that to this day I see pictures of F-15s that I can almost pin to the day that they were taken. More than one was part of what was an obvious misinformation campaign to those of us who worked on the aircraft.

We also used to feel that the other purpose of airshows was to do 'fieldability testing' on equipment. If several hundred midle schoolers couldn't break it it was probably sturdy enough to give to GIs Laughing

The above is of course MY opinion

#6: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:54 am
    ----
Off topic but here's the good ole F117A Stealth. I talked to the pilot and was surprised tp learn that they plan to phase these out next year Evil or Very Mad He said they plan to mothball them at Tonopah Test Range, Nevada.
Also off topic: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rqtN6IkP4

#7: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:27 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
- Jens_O_Mehner

Guess that answers my question! It was on display at an air show. It belongs to the 'Experimental Brigade Combat Team' 1st Armored Division.

You know,

you should provide these little tidbits like where it was shot with the first post, I know you're usually a responsible guy, but sometimes something slips through the cracks- recently a piece of hardware was seen elsewhere in a public forum when it shouldn't have and with e.g. the various current anti-IED devices it's better to be safe than sorry in regards to security.

Jens O.

#8: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:37 pm
    ----
You're right! Cool

#9: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:55 pm
    ----
I guess I remembered Tumbleweed saying he was going to the Airshow thsi weekend and with the other picture he posted assumed the Bradley pictures were from there also.

But yes, full disclosure up front is probably a good idea

#10: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:36 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

Yes and No.

Yes it is new equipment for the Bradley.
No it is NOT new equipment for the Army. The Strykers have had that device for a few years now.
Looks like it's a case of the FCS unit is picking up some older gear to go with all the new state of the art items.

I am expecting a lot of FCS related pictures to be coming out of Ft. Bliss over the next few years. Last week, a tank company went to the range and a group of civilains where invited to join them. There were two pictures in the El Paso Times and last Thursday on the way home from work, I passed four Dargon Wagons hauling Abrams M1A2 back to Ft. Bliss.

Spot report and my 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#11: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:47 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Found this photo over at the Army dot Mil site. This Stryker is with the 1st SBCT at Eielson Air Force Base Alaska. Last year this unit was the 172nd SBCT. Check out the area just to left (camera's point of view) of the driver's hatch. You will see the same type of device that is now on the FCS M2A3 Bradleys at Ft. Bliss.

For those who wish to see it, the following is the link to the smaller photo with caption.

www.army.mil/-images/2...9/26/8311/

For model builders, check out the RWS. There is a bag in front of the mount. I think it is for catching spent brass. Also notice the lack on paint on the front edge of the smoke grenade launcher tubes.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:09 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

Yes and No.

Yes it is new equipment for the Bradley.
No it is NOT new equipment for the Army. The Strykers have had that device for a few years now.
Looks like it's a case of the FCS unit is picking up some older gear to go with all the new state of the art items.

I am expecting a lot of FCS related pictures to be coming out of Ft. Bliss over the next few years. Last week, a tank company went to the range and a group of civilains where invited to join them. There were two pictures in the El Paso Times and last Thursday on the way home from work, I passed four Dargon Wagons hauling Abrams M1A2 back to Ft. Bliss.

Spot report and my 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

I have something like that on the back of my Nissan Pathfinder it seems...only it ain't in an armored box like that one. Rolling Eyes

#13: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:10 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Found this photo over at the Army dot Mil site. This Stryker is with the 1st SBCT at Eielson Air Force Base Alaska. Last year this unit was the 172nd SBCT. Check out the area just to left (camera's point of view) of the driver's hatch. You will see the same type of device that is now on the FCS M2A3 Bradleys at Ft. Bliss.

For those who wish to see it, the following is the link to the smaller photo with caption.

www.army.mil/-images/2...9/26/8311/

For model builders, check out the RWS. There is a bag in front of the mount. I think it is for catching spent brass. Also notice the lack on paint on the front edge of the smoke grenade launcher tubes.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Roy, It's 1st SBCT, 25th Infantry Division. They've gone from Hawaii to Alaska! My guess is that this is a brigade HQ vehicle.

#14: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:42 am
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

Roy, It's 1st SBCT, 25th Infantry Division. They've gone from Hawaii to Alaska! My guess is that this is a brigade HQ vehicle.

Sorry Mark, but that a NO.
The current 1st SBCT, 25th Infantry Division was the old 172nd Inf Bde (Sep) which was based in Alaska. It was reflaged after returning from the sand box.

I do agree that the vehicle is possible a brigade HQ vehicle.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#15: Re: Bradley Driver's Night Sight Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:56 pm
    ----
Roger that, Roy. I guess I meant the colors moved. Laughing

-> AFV News Discussion Board