StugIV?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: StugIV? Author: elauterbach PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:07 pm
    ----
There seems to be a lot of 1/72 models of the German StugIV. Yet, I can't find much about them in the books that I have on hand. What is the story behind them? From what I can tell only one exist still and in pretty bad condition. I am curious about how many were built, when they were in operation, and how successful they were.
Thanks,
Eric

#2: Re: StugIV? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:13 am
    ----
The story as I understand it is that the Alkett plant near Berlin that produced the PZ. III chassis was severely damed by Allied bombing and the Germans adapted the superstructure to fit the PZ. IV chassis. I suspect the reason one sees more Stug IV models then Stug III is simple economics for the kit makers. The PZ. IV chassis can be used for more different vehicles than the PZ. III and it reduces their cost by having more commonality of parts and tooling. Regarding the operational career and numbers produced, there are many excellent works by various authors on the subject. HTH

Jeff Lewis

#3: Re: StugIV? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:58 am
    ----
2 StuG IV survive (out of 1140-50 produced), both in Poland. The one at Museum Orla Bialego is a composite vehicle, two wrecked Pz IV's and various StuG III parts have been used for its partial reconstruction. The second one is a complete but heavily damaged (by recovery attempts) vehicle. The superstructure was recovered in 2006 and the rest was supposed to have been salvaged this year but I have yet to see reports on that operation. It will be restored (if possible to running condition) at Muzeum Broni Pancernej in Poznan.

-> AFV News Discussion Board