Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:52 pm
    ----
JG300-Ascout displays the patience of Job as aspiring rotary wing pilot Freiherr_Kiefer comes to the experts for flight training at the "Pig Sty" (JG300-Fr8ycat was the logical choice for this onerous task, but mysteriously was nowhere to be found when Mssr. Kiefer reported to the flightline).
The JG300 "training chopper" was broken out for this assignment, selected for it's forgiving handling characteristics and bright, primary colors that tend to better hold the attention of, uhhh.... student pilots.

It probably wasn't the best judgement to leave a trailer laden with precious cargo so close to the flightline in these circumstances, but the training chopper has a remotely-actuated "self destruct" mechanism on board that we neglect to mention to the student pilots, if it appears the worst might happen. Nonetheless, Gretchen, Heidi and Helga turned out to watch, nervously, as Freiher_Kiefer made his first solo flight. Actually all his flights were solo because none of the qualified instructors with JG300 were willing to get in an aircraft with Herr Kiefer, dual-controls or not! Wink

#2: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:46 pm
    ----
Now that's just too cool!!! Laughing

Don't worry, Freiherr_Kiefer, with Ascout's (remote) tutelage I'm sure he'll have you doing nose-arounds with one of those similarly-easy Bell products he likes in to time flat!

#3: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:29 pm
    ----
Sheesh!....this is gonna' be tougher than I thought... Rolling Eyes

#4: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:56 pm
    ----
OK...we're gonna' need another main rotor, rotor mast...and that helmet probably oughta' be replaced too. I think the head's been established as being plenty hard already.... Rolling Eyes

#5: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:00 pm
    ----
Throw some spare OH-6 parts on it, we don't break those birds so we don't really need that big pile of NOS parts we flew in a long while back!

Like fr8ycat sez....."FLy Safe, FLy HUGHES"..... Cool

#6: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: Freiherr_KieferLocation: Washington sectional PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:21 am
    ----
Actually Herr Ascout gave me this to learn on and told me it was the standard JG 300 helicopter because of it capacity to carry extreme amounts of alcoholic beverages Laughing

I had hoped to graduate to this

but seriously ( realize that is a new concept to most of you Mr. Green ) what is the best helicopter for FS 2004 to use as a primary trainer?

Der Baron

#7: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: Freiherr_KieferLocation: Washington sectional PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:28 am
    ----
I went out and hired an A & e for my helicopter Mr. Green

Der baron

#8: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:51 am
    ----
- Freiherr_Kiefer
but seriously ( realize that is a new concept to most of you Mr. Green ) what is the best helicopter for FS 2004 to use as a primary trainer?

Der Baron

The conventional wisdom and most of the "approved courses" say the defaultt Bell 206, but I'm going to defy that wisdom and recommend Vlad's Mil's, available at Hovercontrol, for your first attempt, just to get your feet wet. Larger helicopters are more stable (read: less darty) and the Mil's have wheels so you can get a grip on controlling torque effects a little quicker and work your way "down" to smaller heli's from a more stable platform. It's like learning to drive Dad's station wagon before getting into his Porche. The Mil will take a harder landing than some and you can practice just lifting a couple of feet off, controlling yaw, and setting back down without doing much damage.
The Blues Brothers CH-47 is good in that respect, but since it's a two rotor system, it's not the same thing as the other birds so the experience is completely different. It's a WONDERFUL aircraft and model, but it's kinda' like cheating compared to a single rotor helicopter.

This is the direct link at Hovercontrol:

64.34.169.161/ifolio_f.../mi8zh.zip

found on this page:

64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/...amp;img=45

After that, I recommend the Bell UH-1, the Stock Bell 206 in the sim, JG300-Fr8ycats Hughes OH-6A, in increasing order of difficulty, based on "dartiness"...each is smaller than the one before it (Fr8ycat's is here and at Hovercontrol) and then the sky's the limit!

Good Luck!

#9: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:35 pm
    ----
Real good advice.

Conventional wisom also mentions turnign the "reality" sliders for torque, P-factor, all that stuff, down to 80% rather than 100%. It's coveed in one of the tutorials at Hovercontrol.

There's another Bell 206 (Owen Hewitt's?) at Hovercontrol that I believe is even easier to fly than the stock Bell 206? Much nicer model, for sure.

Excellent shot of the JG300 "Heavy Hauler" above! Laughing

And the second model, I forget what it is (Fiesler or what was it?) but there IS a very nice FS2004 version! Realistically underpowered, can only gain any significant altitude when in forward flight, doesn't go side-to-side or rotate left/right very well, but easy to fly otherwise.

#10: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:50 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
And the second model, I forget what it is (Fiesler or what was it?) but there IS a very nice FS2004 version! Realistically underpowered, can only gain any significant altitude when in forward flight, doesn't go side-to-side or rotate left/right very well, but easy to fly otherwise.

Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 , There's a nice model available for Flight Simulator. Wink

#11: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:20 pm
    ----
....like so:

#12: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: Freiherr_KieferLocation: Washington sectional PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:29 am
    ----
was Herr Ascout flying his helicopter in Alaska in March? Shocked

www.juneauempire.com/s...6012.shtml

Der Baron

#13: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 am
    ----
- Freiherr_Kiefer
was Herr Ascout flying his helicopter in Alaska in March? Shocked

www.juneauempire.com/s...6012.shtml

Der Baron

Nope, not me...I would have been using a minigun. Wink

"He shot the moose with a tranquilizer dart, Larsen said..."

#14: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:22 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout

Nope, not me...I would have been using a minigun. Wink

NOW we're talkin'.....Heli's, miniguns, and hunting......and just about that time to go get a nice savory Thanksgiving goose!!

#15: Re: Freiherr_Kiefer reports for rotary wing flight training! Author: Freiherr_KieferLocation: Washington sectional PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:23 pm
    ----
some of the less "seasoned" helo pilots might enjoy seeing this picture of the first Hughes helicopter

definitely not a light weight Rolling Eyes , and probably unlikely to ever fly in a flight sim

Der Baron

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum