OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:57 am
    ----
Hello,

I received today an old photo which may have been taken during WW2 (presumably a photo of a GI's girlfriend or wife). I would like to know the model of this old American car. This could help me to date the photo I have. Thanks.

P-O

#2: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:14 am
    ----
Be careful about trying to date it too precisely, bearing in mind that virtually NO automobiles were produced in America during the war itself, production being given over to war materials. Post-war cars were pretty much continuations of pre-war cars for the first year or so (or little changed).

#3: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:46 pm
    ----
Here's a '46 Chevy Coupe. Hard to tell. They all look alike.

#4: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:00 pm
    ----
Well,

if it "could be" a pre-WW2 car, that should be enough for me.

In fact, I would like to be confirmed the fact that it is not a car/model/design dating from the 50's, because it would mean that the photo was absolutely undoubtely taken after the war (I know that the photo could also have been taken in 1950, but there is a chance that it is a WW2 pic if the car is a pre-WW2 one).

Sorry I'm not sure that my explanations are crystal-clear. Rolling Eyes

P-O

#5: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:07 pm
    ----
I think we can confirm it's not a '50's design (even 1950)...almost certainly '40's.

(Though the 1950 Dodge's were pretty fuddy-duddy)

www.cadvision.com/blan...dels2.html

..still don't see those full front fenders on 'em though.

#6: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:20 pm
    ----
I'm leaning towards '38/'39 Chrysler/De Soto/Plymouth...

#7: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:10 pm
    ----
Thank you guys !!

P-O

#8: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:55 pm
    ----
Here's a 1940 Chrysler/Plymouth Coupe

#9: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:17 pm
    ----

Here's a '41 Dodge 2DR Sedan. Looks close IMO... Wink

#10: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:30 pm
    ----
Shadow - I don't think your 41 Dodge is exactly Stock Smile

#11: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:50 pm
    ----
I think the 40 Chrysler/Plymoth is probably it. since the view was nearly identical, I took the Plymoth picture and opened it as a translucent layer over the B&W photo and matched angle and wheel size as closely as possible. here is the result

looks really close and if you take into account the slightly different angle I think it's a match HTH

Jeff Lewis

#12: Re: OT - old American car to identify (40's or 50's) Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:56 am
    ----
LOL, no, it's not stock. lol

I'm pretty sure this is along the Dodge/Plymouth line. Did you compare the rear side window for size and slant?

Still, I think it's safe to say this is around a '40, '41. The Chrysler's of those years had a bunch of chrome strips to 'fancy' it up a bit while the Dodge/Plymouth line was a more economical version aimed at the masses. I also believe this is a 2 dr sedan and not a coupe as the the sedan's were bigger (the reason the rear glass is bigger).

Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board