Lots of 3rd AD Photos
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:55 pm
    ----
Photos at: www.3ad.com/history/co....index.htm

From www.3ad.com/ web site.

#2: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:22 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the link! It's going to take me sometime to check that site out!

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:25 am
    ----
Ahh,

Gelnhausen, I remember it well- you should see the place today, all traces of the US Army have vanished if you do not know where to look and there has been some reconstruction. I used to work up the hill and to the right until the end of last year.

Jens O.

#4: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:02 am
    ----
Some great stuff there. Check out this oddity:

www.3ad.com/history/co...snow.1.htm

#5: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:43 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

Some great stuff there. Check out this oddity:
www.3ad.com/history/co...snow.1.htm

There is nothing odd about that tank.

That is a vehicle from the first production batch that was rushed to Europe for immediate issue.
A major case of WE NEED A 105 MM TANK IN EUROPE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!

That vehicle is what I have been calling a M-60A0 (zero, not Ohio), some folks call them Slick 60's and some folks call them turtles.

I have one here at the Ft. Bliss Musuem! Smile
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:22 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Ahh,

Gelnhausen, I remember it well- you should see the place today, all traces of the US Army have vanished if you do not know where to look and there has been some reconstruction. I used to work up the hill and to the right until the end of last year.

Jens O.

I spent a week at Gelnhausen in one of those barracks. I was there for something called 'headstart' or something like that. They teach you German custom, road sign, etc.

Doug, Good eye spotting that external cal 50. I missed that. Laughing

#7: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:53 pm
    ----
Mark,

So did I, they didn't inprocess you at Buedingen at the time, we were stuck in the attic in one of those barracks, ended up being a labor pool for the place when not processing, meanwhile the guys assigned there went to their units when the day was done. Really sucked.

Wonder if the duck pond is still there???

Joe D

#8: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:32 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Wonder if the duck pond is still there???

Joe D

Why, it certainly is, although the ducks may be from a later generation... Wink

#9: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:36 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I spent a week at Gelnhausen in one of those barracks. I was there for something called 'headstart' or something like that. They teach you German custom, road sign, etc.

Doug, Good eye spotting that external cal 50. I missed that. Laughing

Yep,

"Headstart" is right, and there also was a language class called "Gateway to German", brought to you courtesy of your local Army Education Center- I think I still have the book somewhere... Sheesh, that was more than twenty years ago, where have all the years in between gone? Shocked

#10: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:22 pm
    ----
Didn't have to take Head Start or the traffic classes, tested out,

Was a dependent in Ludwigsburg, '68-'73, and besides, Meine Mutti ist von Ostereich, so ich kenne ein bisschen Deutch Wink .

excuse my spelling,

Joe D

#11: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:26 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner

"Headstart" is right, and there also was a language class called "Gateway to German", brought to you courtesy of your local Army Education Center- I think I still have the book somewhere... Sheesh, that was more than twenty years ago, where have all the years in between gone? Shocked

'Headstart' was the basic class. (Wie viel kostet das, Ein Bier Bitte, Wo ist der Hauptbahnhof,...) Rolling Eyes

'Gateway' was the 'advanced' class given to Sr NCOs & Officers. More of a conversational German class.

Prior to arriving in Germany in 1986 (on active duty), I had previously lived in Germany for 7 years ( as a dependent) and completed several years of German in high school & College.

Since I was (only) an E-4, I had to take the 'Headstart' class with my peers. After 5 minutes in the week long course, the German instructor, learning of my background, openly questioned why I was in the 'Headstart' class and not 'Gateway'.
She was informed that I wasn't qualified due to my rank...even though I demonstrated a more advanced level of German than most of the 'Gateway' class attendees. So,....I spent a week in 'Headstart' helping others in the class.

'PROST"
Don

#12: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:25 pm
    ----
Now I'm thirsty

Joe D

#13: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:31 pm
    ----
And I have a sudden urge to eat Bratwurst...

#14: Re: Lots of 3rd AD Photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm
    ----
...and I was M48, M60A1 and M551 trained and didn't set a foot in Germany until I was 46 years old and out of the Army for 24 years (and going again next week). Rolling Eyes

Half of my M551 Sheridan class went to Germany. I wasn't in that half.

-> AFV News Discussion Board