The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pics
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:04 pm
    ----
Hello all, sorry I have virtually disappeared over the past couple of months. I have just simply been swamped with work, my final semester of grad school, and my final research paper. I am only now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel - with my paper due on the 10th, when I will be done!

Unfortunately this has meant I havent been able to touch the USA AFV register or address any other related subjects for sometime...

That being said, I did make a couple of stops on my way home to South Carolina for Thanksgiving.

First off, here is an M60A0 (SN 345) at the VFW in Ashland, Virginia. It seems to be fairly well preserved.

SN off the rear deck - the tow lug was too heavily painted.

Here's an M60A3 (rebuild SN 3992M, RN JJ00J2) at a NC ARNG armory in Parkton NC

Mainz Army Depot rebuild SN & RN. Couldnt find the original SN. Tow lug was also too heavily painted...

Further proof of the increasingly combined arms nature of the US Army - this used to be a company in a tank battalion (although technically, from an official lineage sense, it should be C Company, 1st Battalion, 120th Infantry - a battalion that just happens to be "combined arms," but that shouldnt be part of the "official" title).

Neil

#2: Re: The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pic Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:11 pm
    ----
Hello Neil,

nice to see you again.. hope that you'll be able to find some spare time. However I can understand you, even if I'm not occupied like you seem to be, I'm also preparing exams (they really love exams in my school) so I also have less spare time to hold my own lists..

P-O

#3: Re: The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pics Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:38 pm
    ----
nice to see you back Neil
Dennis

#4: Re: The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pics Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:48 pm
    ----
Was beginning to wonder if we would see you again. Will you make it to the Ord Museum Foundation Holiday Party on December 8? It will probably be Dr Atwater's last Arms Room tour.

#5: Re: The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pics Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:39 am
    ----
Hey Neil,
I fully understand the being busy / swamped part with work. Being the III Corp, G4 S&S NCOIC has me too busy to do much armor research. Not to mention two boys playing three different sports year round. It's been way to long since I've been able to contribute on here as well. If you ever get Ft. Hood way look me up.

#6: Re: The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:51 am
    ----
- bsmart
Was beginning to wonder if we would see you again. Will you make it to the Ord Museum Foundation Holiday Party on December 8? It will probably be Dr Atwater's last Arms Room tour.

Doubtful unfortunately, wish I could... The final version of my paper is due on the 10th. I anticipate spending most of that weekend on it. When does he retire? I should at least try to see him before he goes...

Any news from your recent tour? I havent seen any pics or a report, etc...

Neil

#7: Re: The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pics Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:47 am
    ----
I understand the time crunch. I'm behind in getting some pictures I've done posted (including some new ones of the Christie that have been requested by a member here. I haven't forgotten, I promise I will get them up soon :roll:). Dr A officially retires this week (I think Nov 30 is the official 'last day'). I'm not sure if he will be around much after that. Last I heard Ed will be acting Director while the official search is conducted for a permanent one.

Recent tour was a typical 'Boy Scout tour' weather was good and the group was interested.

Not many visible changes in the vehicle locations after the ones from Maryland Ave were moved back to the Museum. The Chi-Ha is at the refurb facility. Several towed guns are sitting at the refurb also because they lost the warehouse they had them stored in. The R35 has been moved out of the Museum building. It is going back to refurb to get 'clear coated' Ed said he is probably going to put Sad Sack ((The Stuart Diesel) in it's place. He knows I would really like the cut open T-34 there where I can show it off.

#8: Re: The rumors of my demise have been exaggerated! - M60 pics Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:57 pm
    ----
Neil,

Good to hear from you again, I know the feeling of being swamped, Been pretty busy the last week myself and now it looks like I'll be pushing back my retirement until this summer.

You won't find a tow lug SN on Mainz Depot Rebuilt M60A3's, at least not the new Mainz A3 number, they would just grind off the old A1 number and leave it. Occasionally the grinding wouldn't be that thorough and the old A1 number would still be visable. M60A3 4118M in Sparta WI is that way, you can still make out SN 8305. When things slow down I have a bunch of additions/updates for the list.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board