Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves"
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> FSX

#1: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:15 am
    ----
After joining this last Sunday flight and using FSX to fly the Super Connie, I was embarassed at how the prop textures looked since upgrading to the Accelleration Pack. It was, well, just plain fugly. Thought I was gonna hurl!

As mentioned elsewhere here, the handling of alpha textures has changed and so it's hit-or-miss when importing some of the FS2004 aircraft. And to be more precise, I believe this isn't as much of a feature of the "Accelleration" package as much as it's a side effect of the SP2 changes which are included in X-Pack. Long story having to do with 'reduced draw calls' in order to increase FPS performance. So, this means, when the SP2 download is released independantly next month (hopefully) that others, who do not have Accelleration, will also be faced with some unexpected texture changes.

Not a good thing. But, fixable, on a plane-by-plane basis as needed (thankfully, the much-beloved airhead Super Deke needs NO changes or I woulda had a frikkin' stroke).

Anyhow besides the window fix for the Junkers Ju-52, I've also corrected the prop textures for the Connie and for Milton's Aero Commander. See pix below.

I can upload these independantly with instructions but would like to first try my hand at making a self-installer to complement the installs for the repaint collections we have in the download library. I'll work on that this week.

And I'll continue to explore some of the other old faves and see if they can be corrected as needed.....and add to the library here.

I used an alpha layer with the black levels set at 20 (on a 0 to 255 scale) and it looks about right...pure black woudl result in not showin blurred prop blades at all, giving it the fake look of a jet intake or somethin'....

Super Connie before and after:

Aero Commander before and after:

#2: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:29 am
    ----
Fabtastic job Stoopy !!

fled

#3: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:04 pm
    ----
3 self-installing texture fixes for the Super Connie, Aero Commander collection, and Junkers Ju-52 VC windows, are in the upload queue and once approved should show up in the "FSx Utilities" folder in the download section here.

The Connie and Aero Commander fixes update all texture folders included in the massive repaint collections. The Ju-52 fix addresses just the 5 base textures included in the release. Instructions are provided on what file to copy to other texture folders if needed.

#4: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:28 pm
    ----
you have been assimilated, resistance is futile Twisted Evil

#5: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:03 am
    ----
actually if not for the prop and tire textures I kinda liked the greezy "before" look of the aero commander... put in Papua New Guinea or Honduras and you are all set LOL

#6: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 am
    ----
Oh good lord I didn't notice the tires, can you belive it?

Must fix!

Slowy, you might be happy to know that it's just different paints.....both "dirty" jobs are in the FSX Commander collection in the D/L library here for FSX. (!)

#7: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: jg300-Deputy_DaleLocation: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:11 am
    ----
Great Job stoopy. I have applied the Connie prop texture fix. Now i gotta try FSIN to see if i can connect to Com-Central FSHost in FSXellerator....vrooooooom

#8: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:14 am
    ----
Glad ya like it, pard. And, if FSIN don't work, FSXHostClient by Chocolate Software does...it's what I use.....

www.chocolatesoftware....lient.html

#9: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: lazyeight PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:31 am
    ----
Got it installed for the Aero Commander and for the Connie. I have not installed the Junkers-52 yet in FSX. Is that easily done?

#10: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:53 am
    ----
Yeah, the Junkers install for FSX is pretty easy, just has one twist as do any self-installers made for FS9.

Point the installer at your main FSX folder instead of FS9, let it install, so it installs all the effects and gauges as well as the aircraft.

It will put the Junkers Ju-52 folder inside a folder called "Aircraft" in your main FSX folder, this is what you have to correct.

Move that Junkers Ju-52 folder from the "Aircraft" folder, into the "SimObjects\Airplanes" folder (where all your other FSX aircraft are) and you're done.

Pretty standard thing to have to do when installing any plane made for FS9 that has an auto-installer.

There's also a way to "alias" the other aircraft folder that these FS9 installers think they should use, and that avoids having to move anything around, but personally I think it's just plain good hygiene to have all your aircraft in one folder where they're meant to be and not scattered around.....and yes, pigs *are* concerned with hygiene!

The update corrects the windows and also gives preview thumbnails for the Junkers. I also have a modified aircraft.cfg file for it that I've added all kinds of custom internal VC and passenger views to cycle through, as well as custom external views.....it's not in the update (since I didn't want to overwrite anyone else's config file) but I can supply it to ya if'n ya want......she's a pretty bird and it's nice to move around and admire her in flight.

#11: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: lazyeight PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:39 am
    ----
All done and all went well. I have been flying the Junkers Ju-52 around LSMI and LSMM and the scenery is outstanding in FSX.
Greatly appreciate your putting this together for us. Keep up the good work. I have be spending a little time trying the second full flight of the ?hop and flying the default Cessna 172. That has been fun too.

#12: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:40 am
    ----
OK I've added another one to the stable......this is for Robert Sanderson's wonderful Hawker Hurricane IIa, a great plane in FS2004.

Works OK in FSX but has a couple issues, most visibly the dreaded "silver prop disc" syndrome. Fixed that with another uplaod, self-installer that gives dark alpha layers to the props disc tecture set so it looks OK.

There is one small issue with an odd transparency on the instruemnt panel that "sticks out" just a little bit, you can see this in the VC view and also form external view if only looking at the aircraft from behind. Oddd, and can't do anything with it (well, I don't know what to do...messing with the alpha layer wouldn't help, is all). So anyway it's a keeper other than that.....minor thing if you ask me.

New download should be in the FSX "Utilities" section as soon as it's approved.

If you don't have this aircraft already (particularly for FS2004 as well) I highly recommend it.....download link I found is here:

Sanderson Hurri Download Link <--- good stuff maynard

#13: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:07 pm
    ----
EXCELLENT!! Thanks Stoopy!

#14: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:37 pm
    ----
Great job Stoopy !!

#15: Re: Accelleration texture fixes for some of the "Old Faves" Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:56 pm
    ----
Hey Stoopy,
I've got a question. I installed the Junkers and the Bücker Jungmann ,but I don't have thumbnails of the aircraft to pick from in the create flight/aircraft menu. How do you get the diffrent liveries to show up?

-> FSX