Virus issue! (I think) LOL
-> Software

#1: Virus issue! (I think) LOL Author: 251_Senyu_IJNLocation: Xenia,Ohio PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:42 am
    ----
Hey guys,
I had a bunch of virus's get into my computer. I believe I have them all gone, but! there may be another one lurking.
I now get IE windows popping up at a rate of about 7 in 1 min time Shocked

The only thing that still shows up on a scan is something titled
"Smitfraud-C.CoreService". I must not have the proper tool to remove it because it says it cannot fix selected?

It might also be CoreSource instead of CoreService.

Help!

Senyu

#2: Re: Virus issue! (I think) LOL Author: Uhu_DutchmanLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:58 am
    ----
Hi, try this one......

Here !

No thanks Smile

Hi, try this one
- 251_Senyu_IJN
Hey guys,
I had a bunch of virus's get into my computer. I believe I have them all gone, but! there may be another one lurking.
I now get IE windows popping up at a rate of about 7 in 1 min time Shocked

The only thing that still shows up on a scan is something titled
"Smitfraud-C.CoreService". I must not have the proper tool to remove it because it says it cannot fix selected?

It might also be CoreSource instead of CoreService.

Help!

Senyu

#3: Re: Virus issue! (I think) LOL Author: 251_Senyu_IJNLocation: Xenia,Ohio PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:00 pm
    ----
Thanks a bunch, so far so good.

Man it really cleaned a lot of issues off of my computer
So far no IE window popping up!!

#4: Re: Virus issue! (I think) LOL Author: 251_Senyu_IJNLocation: Xenia,Ohio PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:06 pm
    ----
Well!!

It worked for about 2 days now, then i'm getting the IE windows again popping up,
I downloaded that new browser "Flock" and I dont get it on it?
I've updated all my anti virus's daily and still cant get rid of that one.

Anymore ideas?

#5: Re: Virus issue! (I think) LOL Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:31 pm
    ----
Seems you may have a link that you use that is nasty, as you say if it was gone for two days and it is back now there maybe more going on than meets the eye.

also check out the www.symantec.com site for some toolies that are free for spyware and other crap removal

#6: Re: Virus issue! (I think) LOL Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:55 pm
    ----
Mark, try Spybot Search and Destroy. Get it HERE!

I'm thinking that should clean up the redirection on IE. Of course, I like Firefox and Flock and don't use IE, but it's a matter of taste (and security) for me... Wink

#7: Re: Virus issue! (I think) LOL Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:06 am
    ----
Many viruses leave an 'anchor' in System Restore.
So you can remove them and, as soon as you reboot, it simply regenerates from the System Restore memory and re-infects you.

If you're happy to follow my example, what I do is;

1) remove virus.
2) disable System Restore***
3) re-scan (should come up clean but I do it anyway).
4) re-boot
5) re-scan
6) enable System Restore.

This is maybe two scans more than necessary, which I am happy to do anyway for my own peace of mind.

*** WARNING:- Doing this CLEARS your system restore memory which means you will lose all your saved restore points. Only proceed if you're happy to do this. You should also notice a large amount of disk space re-appears as this memory is cleaned out.

-> Software