M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:23 am
    ----
Shot this video on my last day in El Paso out near Roy's place. I think he slept through it Wink

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNeiTv03YMQ

#2: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:13 am
    ----
What, you were in Texas and didn't stop by Ft Hood!?!? I just took a few days from work to show a friend of Joe DeMarco's where all the Shermans, (and their variants) were on post. I got him into the 4ID museum storage area as well as into any motorpool that held something he wanted to see. Amazing what a III Corp access badge lets you do. If you ever get this way, let me know.

#3: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:08 pm
    ----
were the Tank ladden HETs routed down the off ramps so they wouldn't have to cross a bridge? (or did the M577 carriers miss the turn off Rolling Eyes )

#4: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:49 pm
    ----
- bsmart
were the Tank ladden HETs routed down the off ramps so they wouldn't have to cross a bridge? (or did the M577 carriers miss the turn off Rolling Eyes )

I wondered the same thing. The 577's had a motorcycle cop leading them. I think the tanks had crossed over bridges on the same road earlier. Also, when they built that highway they knew what the Army would be transporting.

#5: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:51 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
What, you were in Texas and didn't stop by Ft Hood!?!? I just took a few days from work to show a friend of Joe DeMarco's where all the Shermans, (and their variants) were on post. I got him into the 4ID museum storage area as well as into any motorpool that held something he wanted to see. Amazing what a III Corp access badge lets you do. If you ever get this way, let me know.

Texas is SOOO big that it would have been a 2 day drive to Fort Hood! I tried working for a contractor at Fort Bliss. Big mistake. I'm going back to Army civil service at Tooele Army Depot, Utah.

#6: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:08 pm
    ----
Jeff,
Any new info uncovered during Joe's visit? SNs, etc?

Neil

#7: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:12 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Jeff,
Any new info uncovered during Joe's visit? SNs, etc?

Neil

Neil, At the private collection here (Tooele, Utah) they have an M-5 Stuart displayed outside. I'll get over there and take a picture and get some info when I can. It says "US MARINES" on the side of it.

#8: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:30 pm
    ----
Oh yeah, I need info all the Tooele stuff! Most of the info I have comes from that tank garage episode...

Humber GBR std
G-13 Hetzer DEU/CHE std
M3? Half-Track USA std Painted RN 4061282
M3? Half-Track USA std Painted RN 40100323
M3? Half-Track USA std
M4 Sherman USA wre/std Range survivor
M4? Half-Track USA std RN 4???718
M5A1 Stuart USA std “Tokyo Express�
M7 Priest USA std
M18 Hellcat USA/YUG std “Jawbreaker;� ex-Yugoslav
M18 Hellcat USA std
M50 Sherman USA/ISR std
Sd.Kfz. 251 DEU std
T-55 SOV std

Neil

#9: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:59 pm
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

The HETs were using that off ramp so they could make a left turn under the freeway at the next over pass which is just passed the police vehicle that is blocking Gateway North. The blocked off gateway is so the HETs can move over to the right before they make that left turn. If they had stayed on the freeway, they would have been headed North on US 54. They needed to take Martin L. King Jr. Blvd (the old War Highway, still is after you cross into New Mexico) which is the route out the Donna Anna ranges and the southern entrance to White Sands Missile Range.

The newest HET with a M1 load is street/highway legal in most of Texas. The HET trailier the current one replaced was not legal just about anywhere in Texas with a M1 loaded. The older HETs had to use the Ft. Bliss tank trails to move Abrams between the Donna Anna Base Camp and main post. Those old dirt roads destroyed tires like crazy. Bad case of tires were cheaper that track block and extra MBT mileage not related to training.

Sleeping? Possible, that's what happiens when one works the midnight shift.

Mark, how did you like the El Paso version of snow?
Looks great out there on those mountains!

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:58 pm
    ----
LOL! Roy, I knew you were sleeping because you work all night. That was a good snow there in El Paso. I've been in Utah about 12 days and I've seen a good foot fall here already. Guess I'd better get used to it!

#11: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:25 pm
    ----
So the 577s were headed somewhere different than the M1s?

#12: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:37 am
    ----
Roy

The tank Hets are 70+ ton cargo, by-pass overpasses to ease road clearence authorizations. lighter lowboys w/ 113's & 577's easier on highway over passes much lower cargo weight.

Experienced those dirt 'tank trails' up to Mcgregor Range complex back in 94 during Op Roving Sands. Glad to see they use the 'hardballs' now...

Don

#13: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:00 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway

Texas is SOOO big that it would have been a 2 day drive to Fort Hood!

Naw, I did Ft Hood to Ft Bliss (SGM Academy on Biggs in 1998) in 8 Hours via Hwy 190. An excellent 'shortcut'.

6 weeks later (with BSNCOC completed) did the return trip alot faster Shocked , but won't comment on that. Mr. Green

Don

#14: Re: M1A2(SEP) Tanks On HET's In El Paso Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:49 pm
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

So the 577s were headed somewhere different than the M1s?

It might be the M577s are headed out to McGreger Range (primary use is air defense live firing) which is off the right side of US 54 a few miles into New Mexico. I would not think they would be going farther North than that. I would think that if they were, then the M577s would be riding on commercial trucks and not HETs which belongs to a National Guard unit based here at Ft. Bliss.

5th Bde, 1st AD is the FCS test unit, maybe the M577s were going to set up a TOC somewhere in the McGreger base camp area while the Abrams are going to conducted operations over in the Donna Anna range area. Extended command and control test of commo links?

That's my guess.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board