Odd Shermans in Minnesota & at Fort Stewart
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Odd Shermans in Minnesota & at Fort Stewart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:23 pm
    ----
Dan Reed came across the register and sent me some interesting pics of a few Shermans not listed over the weekend...

The first one is at the Minnesota ARNG Armory in Appleton MN

Is it possible it is a Korean War 76mm conversion of a 75mm gun Sherman? Or more likely just a 76 stuck in a 75 turret for display?

It looks like this one used to be at Camp Ripley

Here's another one with an odd - fake? - barrel in Long Prairie MN

Dan says this Sherman in Milica MN has an M47 muzzle brake? Looks like the one above actually as well...

Another odd bird is the long - fake? - barrel on this Sherman that Dan says is in the national guard training area of Fort Stewart

Neil

#2: Re: Odd Shermans in Minnesota & at Fort Stewart Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:53 pm
    ----
Here are a couple that circulated a couple of years ago, when I was spending time up at Ft McCoy Wi.

I thought these were lost, but my 'back up' files do 'bare fruit' on occasion.

Don

#3: Re: Odd Shermans in Minnesota & at Fort Stewart Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:01 am
    ----
Kinda reminds me of the CEV in Corinth MS. Somebody probably thought they looked cooler that way. Can't imaging why a little "Pop-Gun" 75 would ever need a muzzle brake. Some look like came from Pershing 90mm guns.

Joe D

#4: Re: Odd Shermans in Minnesota & at Fort Stewart Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:42 pm
    ----
Interesting stuff - thanks for posting. I know that the MN ArNG used various M4A3s after WW2. When looking at those welded-on muzzle brakes I can't help but wonder if someone had an inferiority complex? Obviously somebody in the shop that was assigned to prepare them for display liked muzzle brakes.

My wild guess is that the M4A1 at Ft. Stewart is a rebuild with a 76mm gun added. These usually show up on M4A3 75mm Wet Stowage types (M4A3E4, like the tanks in "Kelly's Heroes"). It IS interesting to see the 76mm added to the mid-production M4A1.

Gary B

#5: Re: Odd Shermans in Minnesota & at Fort Stewart Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:51 am
    ----
- binder001
My wild guess is that the M4A1 at Ft. Stewart is a rebuild with a 76mm gun added.

Gary,

You could be right, this could very well be an M4A1E4.
web.inter.nl.net/users...etro76.htm

Hanno

#6: Re: Odd Shermans in Minnesota & at Fort Stewart Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:28 am
    ----
My first impression was that it was an M47 muzzle brake but looking closer I think it could be fabricated. Just doesn't have that 'machined' look.

-> AFV News Discussion Board