Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:18 pm
    ----
...headin' east to tobacco and moonshine country for Christmas and New Years...probably won't have much in the way of regular internet access...might get to check in a couple of times.

In other news, I just committed to work for four days in Finland in late February....I'm given to understand it's likely to be a smidgen on the nippy side. You guys in the winter storms, I don't want to hear any whining! (Thank heavens I'm an alpine skier, I'm counting on that to give me a little bit of an edge in coping, well...that and vodka).

(If there's any armor/members in/around Helsinki, sound off!)

Happy Holidays to all!

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:21 pm
    ----
Merry Christmas, Doug.

Glad you enjoyed the German Phantoms.

Russ Buchan

#3: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:23 pm
    ----
- Russ_Buchan
Merry Christmas, Doug.

Glad you enjoyed the German Phantoms.

Russ Buchan

RUSS! Darn glad to see you here! I'll try to take some pics of those and post when I gets back. Thanks so much for those and I'm counting on you to keep the membership entertained now that you've managed to log back on! Wink

#4: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:43 pm
    ----
Russ, Welcome back

#5: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:44 am
    ----
Thanks, Bob; Thanks, Doug:

Been away a long time, squaring my head away and falling in love again at sixty-five.

I'm still at Point Mugu, CA (some lovely Hawker Hunters and Kfirs in civvy markings up there for you wingy-dingbats).

I am glad to be back looking in the big toyshop window at all the cool things you folks have displayed and posted. Goodness, but the Soviet Hurricane pilot recovered from that Russian bog certainly was well-preserved!

Continue in your AFV endeavors, and have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Russ Buchan

CIA Member in good standing.

#6: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:15 am
    ----
Doug, Either of these would be worth the visit
Suomenlinna War Museum in Helsinki or the
Finnish Armour Museum in Parola, Finland.....

#7: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:19 am
    ----
Russ,

It's good to see your posts again, We missed you input and wit

Joe D

#8: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:56 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
Doug, Either of these would be worth the visit
Suomenlinna War Museum in Helsinki or the
Finnish Armour Museum in Parola, Finland.....

I'm guessing I'm going to be restricted to Helsinki by my tight schedule 'cuz I gotta' be in Brussels later that same week (and the week before is apparently a holiday time or something). Puh-leeze tell me that Suomenlinna War Museum is open weekends in February! I "Googled" and only found one entry, so any info and advice between now and then (location, directions, cost, rules, hours, exhibits, etc.) would be appreciated. I will have the option to arrive a day or two early but have to work (WORK! Shocked ) on Monday-Tuesday so Sat-Sun will be my only possibility. I'll probably be more or less city center so relying on taxis.

#9: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:57 am
    ----
It's early but at first I thought it said, "Cupola weeks".

#10: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:44 pm
    ----
Hmm., Doug and Moonshine, you'll probably end up running from the revenuers on your bike Twisted Evil

Russ great to see you back, Laughing I will have to try to come up with some serious spew causing posts just to ruin your keyboard Laughing

Jeff Lewis

PS try not to cause any international incidents Doug, I hear Finland may have a few wingy things in museums Wink

#11: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:19 pm
    ----
Have a great trip Doug, btw it's getting frigging cold here Laughing

Cool

#12: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:27 pm
    ----
- piney
Hmm., Doug and Moonshine, you'll probably end up running from the revenuers on your bike Twisted Evil

Doesn't sound like him to run.....

#13: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:07 pm
    ----
Suomenlinna C 74, Helsinki
Ferry service from the market square

Address
Suomenlinna Museum / P.O.BOX 913
FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland

Tel. +358 9 4050 9691

Open
2.1.-30.4. Mon-Sun 10 am - 4 pm
2.5.-30.9. Mon-Sun 10 am - 6 pm
1.10.-31.12. Mon-Sun 10 am - 4 pm

Entrance 5,00€ / 4,00 €
Free entrance for those under 18 years and with Helsinki Card

#14: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:22 pm
    ----
Outstanding, Armyjunk...thanks. Ferry? I checked Google map and see an island by that name about 1.5 miles from the city to the SE, so I guess it's over there? From this, it looked like there might be a bridge over (hope this works)

maps.google.com/maps?q...p&ct=image

#15: Re: Goin' offline for a coupla' weeks or so... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:20 pm
    ----
I should have added this......museum link

-> AFV News Discussion Board