POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX
-> FSX

#1: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:58 pm
    ----
Just did a fresh install of FSX with acceleration etc...

stock textures/bitmaps are horrible (like FS9 before running CC fixes)...

was it already in the forum and did I miss it?

Dont recall it ever being this ugly

Help!

#2: Re: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:07 pm
    ----
Slowy,

you need to adapt your Vidcard settings to some other parameters as for fs9, fsX handles the thing completely different than fs9 hence the Vidcard settings for fs9 won't work properly in fsX and the other way around.

what Vidcard do you have ??

#3: Re: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:24 pm
    ----
A few other thoughts too FWIW.....

- Are the mipmap or quality settings set to high in the FSX menus for aircraft and such?

- The famous TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTI in the fsx.cfg file has been set WRONG the last time I installed. This setting does *not* work like the fs9 setting does, where 400 is an optimal transfer number. It's not ever suposed to be above 40 according to ACES, but mine was set to 100, where it shouldn't be! I set it to 40, all was much better, 30 better yet, and actually it seems that even with faster systems and better cards, people get better results with it as low as 10....I kid ya not. This helps mucho with them blurry thingies!

- Sometimes reducing some sliders makes things clearer becuase the poor thing is trying too hard to do what you ask it to.....if all else fails set everything to minimum and work up from there on what matters to you most, changing one thing at a time incrementally, fly and evaluate, and know when to quit while you're ahead.

- Yo're probably doing this already but defrag, defrag, defrag....helps ensure texture loading times are kept to a minimum.
Absolute best of luck!

#4: Re: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:51 pm
    ----
I have 2 hard drives (300G and 400G) I have a partition (C Drive) dedicated to FSX

Here is my rig:

XP Pro SP2 (32 b - not 64b)
2.4 AMD Athlon 64 4000+
ASUSTeK A8N-SLI DELUXE
2 G Ram (2 x 1G) Corsair Select w/heat sinks
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS driver 169.21
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

SONY DVD RW DRU-800A [CD-ROM drive]
SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A [CD-ROM drive]
Maxtor 6L300S0 [Hard drive] (300.08 GB) --
ST3400620AS [Hard drive] (400.09 GB) -- SMART Status: Healthy

#5: Re: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:53 pm
    ----
BTW

I am about to get working on it Stoopy per your comments, will report any positive results

many thanks!
Slow

#6: Re: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:02 am
    ----
Ahhhh... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Never underestimate the importance of the global tecture setting on the hardware tab Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Mr. Green Mr. Green

problem 'solved'.... Confused Shocked

#7: Re: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:02 am
    ----
Well, yeah! Heck, if that was the slider you were lookin' for, why didntya say so and we coulda steered ya right to it rather than play with 'em all!!

Naw seriously, glad you got it figured out, man!

#8: Re: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:20 pm
    ----
actually I didnt see that one on the hardware page... kind hidden from slows old eyes... makes all the difference in the world though LOL

#9: Re: POOR BITMAP QUALITY IN FSX Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:07 pm
    ----
Glad to hear you got it licked !

-> FSX