M48A3 in Viet Nam
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:44 pm
    ----
Looks like 5th ID, 1-77 Armor. I notice the M-85 MG is missing.

#2: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:02 pm
    ----
1/77th, "Steel Tigers"...my CO at the Armor Board when I came back from VN had been a lieutenant with them and seriously wounded, good officer too. I'm not surprised they went to a flex-fifty, gives much faster reaction and reliability than that cupola mount, to say nothing of reloading.

1/77th has a good website, I've posted links previously, lots of pictures.

#3: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:52 pm
    ----
That's a M48A2, not an A3. 1-77AR was one of the only units to use the A2. ID points: crew heater pipe comes out to the left of the driver, headlights, no aircleaner boxes.

#4: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:04 pm
    ----
- tanker2010
That's a M48A2, not an A3. 1-77AR was one of the only units to use the A2. ID points: crew heater pipe comes out to the left of the driver, headlights, no aircleaner boxes.

GOOD EYE! Laughing

#5: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:55 am
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

Mark was conducting a double "Alertness Check" on all you tankers.

Tanker 2010 got one of the points! It's an A2 rather that an A3.
That info was a big surpise to me. Wasn't the 5th ID the last unit to be sent to Vietnam?

For all you older tankers, go back and review Marks first post and see if you can find the other "Alertness Check" item.

Sgt, Scouts out!

#6: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:55 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
For all you older tankers, go back and review Marks first post and see if you can find the other "Alertness Check" item.
Sgt, Scouts out!

Is it that the M48 series never used the M85 heavy machine gun? The M48s used the M2HB in their cupolas.

Gary

#7: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:42 pm
    ----
Hi Gary! Hi Folks!

- binder001

- Roy_A_Lingle
Sgt, Scouts out!

Is it that the M48 series never used the M85 heavy machine gun? The M48s used the M2HB in their cupolas.
Gary

The M85 was developed for use in the M19 cupola which only the M-60 tanks had.

Gary passes the test with one minor missing detail.

The correct name for the 50 cal.s used in the M48's M-1 cupola was M2HBTT. Which means the standard M2 HB receiver had a different type of back plate which mounted an electric solenoid which was activated by a remote trigger.

Well done Gary!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:35 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Gary! Hi Folks!

- binder001

- Roy_A_Lingle
Sgt, Scouts out!

Gary

The M85 was developed for use in the M19 cupola which only the M-60 tanks had.

I abstained, since I trained on the M48, double congrats to Gary.

#9: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:42 am
    ----
But it wasn't a straight-type M2HB that was in the cupola. It was the type without the handles and with the M10 charging handle as used on the Abrams CWS.

#10: Re: M48A3 in Viet Nam Author: oldertop PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:18 pm
    ----
ROFLOL.....with tears in my eyes, just got back from trip what do I find..we have a joker in the group. Mr. Green

-> AFV News Discussion Board