AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:36 pm
    ----
PzKpfw IV Ausf H - captured from Syria by Israel in 1967, then at Latrun (obtained by AAF via trade with Latrun)

M60A2

Sexton

Neil

#2: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: palic PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:41 pm
    ----
Brilliant catch! The first (for me, certainly) pictorial, not written evidence of "Pixie Suit" being produced in camoed form...

#3: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:43 pm
    ----
Que?

Neil

#4: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: palic PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:51 pm
    ----
Huh, Neil, could you, please, repeat your question in different words? I can not read you...

#5: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:57 pm
    ----
Sorry, what is a "Pixie Suit"?

Neil

#6: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: palic PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:37 pm
    ----
"Pixie Suit" was a coverall with hood issued to British/Commonwealth armoured vehicles crews. It remained in use postwar (at least during Korean War period and mabe even later)...
This suit was made of olive or khaki green canvas with woolen? lining and was worn over usual Battle Dress. That means "Pixie Suit" was really very warm...
This is the first time I can see camoed variant - see the picture of Sexton SPG...

#7: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:31 pm
    ----
I wonder if the Panzer IV will be one day rebuilt to its wartime configuration, and if the post-war components will be replaced (especially the mudguards, which are highly visible).. (the Littlefield's Pz IV has the same post-war parts, his Pz IV also comes from Israel).

P-O

#8: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:43 pm
    ----
I actually wouldnt mind seeing a Syrian PzKpfw IV in Syrian colors - just to see something different... But yeah, it should probably either be restored to WWII configuration if it is going to be in WWII colors; or painted in Syrian colors...

Neil

#9: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: palic PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:17 pm
    ----
Syrian Pz.IV? Syrian - ex Czechoslovak - ex German Pz.IV Mr. Green

#10: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm
    ----
Aaah,

it is also the highly secret Hover-Pixie suit... Mr. Green I would like to have a closer look at it before I classify it as genuine British issue. I have a hunch the Sexton may be ex-Portuguese and they had a similar camo pattern on their uniforms.

Heck, at least they removed the Syrian stowage boxes and DshK-mount, it is a start. Wink

Jens O.

#11: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:33 pm
    ----
Portugal lizard pattern (looks very close to a French Leopard pattern used during the Indochina and Algeria wars) :

UK windproof pattern, used during WW2 and also by UK tank crews. It was also used by the French army during the Indochina war, among other camo patterns. It is this camo that we see on the dummy beside the Sexton :

The French army used this camo during the Indochina war and it is known in France as the "Peau de saucisson" camo ("skin of sausage" in English). The French army also used in Indochina : US Army WW2 camo, and even WH Splinter, SS Oakleef and Dot 44 camo, as the French army got a lot of German cloth and they made tent, shelter, halfs with them.

As it is made with original German WW2 cloth, the tent shelter halfs are nowadays usually transformed in newly made helmet covers which are very difficult to detect as being newly made and sold as originals to collectors.

P-O

#12: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:56 pm
    ----
Could have sworn the Portuguese had another pattern as well and that the lizard pattern was limited to Angola and Mozambique, but then I do get confused... I will have a look in the archives Sunday afternoon just to be at peace with myself. Rhodesian camo uniforms were also patterned on the lizard, IIRC.

Yes, counterfeiters and forgers stop at nothing and unfortunately there are some unscrupulous traders who will happily aid them. Evil or Very Mad

Jens O.

#13: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:04 am
    ----
Nice A-Deuce...only lacks for a searchlight, but looks good otherwise. Thanks for the pics!

#14: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:10 pm
    ----
Neil,

Thanks for the A2 pictures, the only ones I've seen before of this tank never showed the side for me to ID the hull. IAW the TACOM list she is SN 4710. That should be correct based on the Generation 3 hull. GEN 4 M60A2 hulls would start at SN 4726 from what I've researched. To bad they wouldn't let you access the SN.

Slowly but surely the pieces will eventually fall into place Smile

Joe D

#15: Re: AAF Tank Museum #3 - PzKpfw IV, M60A2, Sexton Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:22 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

I actually wouldnt mind seeing a Syrian PzKpfw IV in Syrian colors - just to see something different...
Neil

I agree with Neil. It would also have the benefit of showing some very little kwown history about the Mark IV to the general public.
It would be even better if the museum could get a IDF Sherman to set up next to it.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board