AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:22 pm
    ----
STRV 74 - only one in the Western Hemisphere, according to the museum (certainly appears to be the only one in the US)

M5 Stuart - may be either a USMC or 3rd Armored Division combat veteran

Neil

#2: Re: AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:25 pm
    ----
they have a STRV 74 at Saumur.. so yes, most probably the only one in the US.

Pierre-Olivier

#3: Re: AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:44 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
they have a STRV 74 at Saumur.. so yes, most probably the only one in the US.

Pierre-Olivier

ISTR there is one at Axvall too... And while we are picking nits, US Army bumper numbers on a Marine tank? Hey, do they need a curator? I just signed a contract for a new job (finally!), but I could be talked into relocating. Smile

#4: Re: AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:52 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
And while we are picking nits, US Army bumper numbers on a Marine tank? Hey, do they need a curator? I just signed a contract for a new job (finally!), but I could be talked into relocating. Smile

Yeah, it appears the markings on the tank is as confused as is the origin of the tank - it could have served with either the Marine Corps or the 3rd Armored Division...

Neil

#5: Re: AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:51 pm
    ----
In Kubinka Strv.74 preserved too. in wa-a-a-ay better condition Wink

#6: Re: AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:57 pm
    ----
I thought AAF Tank Museum's claim that it was one of two STRV 74s in museums was spurious...

Neil

#7: Re: AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:31 pm
    ----
Well the part of being the only STRV 74 in the Western Hemisphere is probably right, but (as has been pointed out) there are several in museums in Europe and they were common as Gate Guardians and Monument tanks outside and inside Swedish Army regiments. There were two were I did my service (S3/I19/P5), one at the Boden Garrison museum and one outside the main gate of I19/P5. The gate guardian at I19 was removed and renovated in 1992 and is in driving condition. It had been standing guard for 11 years in the harsh climatic conditions of northern Sweden, the salvage crew replaced the battery packs, freed rusted shut valves, started her up and then drove the tank to the armor barracks.

#8: AAF Tank Museum STRV 74 Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:59 pm
    ----
The gun mantlet of the AAF Tank Museum's STRV 74 apparently lacks a coaxial machine gun port: is this vehicle's mantlet a replacement for the original one?

#9: Re: AAF Tank Museum #12 - STRV 74, M5 Stuart combat veteran Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:21 pm
    ----
Good observation - I knew something was off about that mantlet. Wrong color, plus the lines are a little too crisp. I suspect they cast a new one...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board