M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:48 am
    ----
Olney Military Reservation (MD ARNG Armory), 5115 Riggs Rd, Gaithersburg MD.

Neil

#17: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:05 pm
    ----
Well Bob, did you find that Lingle?

I think I will hunt for my Patton after work...

Neil

#18: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:29 pm
    ----
Glad I called ahead to that DC Rec Center - apparently the M47 Patton has been gone since the Kennedy administration!

Neil

#19: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:30 pm
    ----
Well I was a little busy today and didn't even see your post until a few minutes ago. But I don't think of that as Gaithersburg but as Laytonsville or Burtonsville

maps.google.com/maps?f...7&t=h&z=15

Looking at the recon photo it appears rather deserted and I don't see a Lingle. I'll try to do a ground recon in the next few days

#20: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:20 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Glad I called ahead to that DC Rec Center - apparently the M47 Patton has been gone since the Kennedy administration!

Neil

Damn Democrats Wink

#21: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:30 pm
    ----
Probably re-activated it and issued it to the Cubans for the Bay of Pigs

#22: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:14 pm
    ----
Bob,
Have you been able to confirm the Gaithersburg/Olney/Laytonsville/Burtonsville M114? I'm waiting on it and a few other outstanding issues before releasing V3.0...

Neil

#23: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:48 pm
    ----
Shoot, been busy. I'll see if I can squeeze in a long lunch tomorrow or Wednesday (don't tell my boss Rolling Eyes )

#24: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:06 pm
    ----
Not only is there not an M114 at the site there are not any buildings!!! Well there is one (The structure in the top Rt corner of the fenced in area looks like it is being rebuilt or modernized but the rest have been buldozed and the area cleaned up. the asphalt parking areas are there and a sign on teh Fence says there is a National Guard Recruiting office, but I think it lies.

I beleieve thsi was part of one of the old Nike sites that surrounded Washington in the Cold War. The interesting 'facility' about 500 yards Northwest of this site appears that it was the primary part of the Nike site and now has 'other uses' (ground recon only makes the curious features of teh Google Earth view more interesting Shocked ) If the men in the Dark suits and sunglasses don't descend on my location as soon as this is posted Wink

retreating --- hiding - hiding

#25: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:25 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Not only is there not an M114 at the site there are not any buildings!!! Well there is one (The structure in the top Rt corner of the fenced in area looks like it is being rebuilt or modernized but the rest have been buldozed and the area cleaned up. the asphalt parking areas are there and a sign on teh Fence says there is a National Guard Recruiting office, but I think it lies.

I beleieve thsi was part of one of the old Nike sites that surrounded Washington in the Cold War. The interesting 'facility' about 500 yards Northwest of this site appears that it was the primary part of the Nike site and now has 'other uses' (ground recon only makes the curious features of teh Google Earth view more interesting Shocked ) If the men in the Dark suits and sunglasses don't descend on my location as soon as this is posted Wink

retreating --- hiding - hiding

You could be onto something, Bob. At this site, there is a link to most of the Nike sites, including one at Gaithersberg, MD (the W-94 site) which was apparently converted to an Army Reserve unit base later. See if looks like it might be the same place. The terraserver links are active on the main site (and I see Sundown and Damascus Roads just as on your map, so I think it's the same place Wink ):

ed-thelen.org/loc-m.html#W-94

C - Strawberry Knoll and Cross County, S of Snouffer School Rd ((O) residential area)
- IFC - TerraServer from the TerraServants (12/04)
[{Page, T} TerraServer ]
L - 8791 Snouffer School Rd ((P) MGEN Benjamin L Humton Memorial USAR Center; Launchers abandoned)
- Launcher Area - TerraServer from the TerraServants (12/04)
[{Page, T} TerraServer ]
[{R, Marc}August 2005 In the late 80s I had been assigned to a Army Reserve unit that used the Control site for meetings (it has since been torn down and developed) and then a new center that was next to the launch site. I was fortunate in that one of the unit members had been assigned to the site when it was active. He took us on a tour and we went into the pits....pretty trashed. Anyhow, Mongomery County Maryland has a great GIS web site that has high resolution color imagery (Aerial photos) of the launch site that are pretty good. The web site is www.montgomerycountymd...aYear=2002 Click on grid 5 (Laytonsville), then click on grid 227NW08. The site is in the upper left corner of the photo. Drill down and you get a pretty good color overhead of the 3 pits, the elevator doors and asphalt & cement driveways and roads. There are photos that go back to 1951. The earliest photos with the launch site is 1970. ]

A -
[{Page, T} TerraServer ]

The pits he refers to (I think) at the Gaithersberg site:

#26: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:02 pm
    ----
Hmm... Sorry for the wild goose-chase Bob!

Do you know of another MD ARNG Armory in Gaithersburg? Admittedly, my contact told me there was an M114 at a National Guard Armory in Gaithersburg. The only armory the MD ARNG lists in Gaithersburg is that address... www.mdmildep.org/index...mories.cfm

Neil

#27: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:10 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Hmm... Sorry for the wild goose-chase Bob!

Do you know of another MD ARNG Armory in Gaithersburg? Admittedly, my contact told me there was an M114 at a National Guard Armory in Gaithersburg. The only armory the MD ARNG lists in Gaithersburg is that address... www.mdmildep.org/index...mories.cfm

Neil

YO! Check this site...note the second picture. Wink

(also, read on and you might find the location is slightly off on what we're looking for. Some secret squirrel activitiy possible in this area in the past)

cryptome.sabotage.org/...yeball.htm

#28: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:21 pm
    ----
Ah, that's the photo evidence! Bob, did you see this location?

Neil

#29: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:51 pm
    ----
Here's the original source:

web.archive.org/web/20...olney.html

Neil

#30: Re: M48A5 Patton at the Armed Forces Retirement Home Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 pm
    ----
Apparently, the building and the M114 in this picture are no longer there.

MS Virtual Earth has a good "bird's eye" of that area. I drew some red lines where it looks like the photographer stood to take the above picture, and the field of view of the lens.

If you look just past the flag pole, you can see where the M-114 used to sit.

Chain link fences and men in dark suits and sunglasses are serious business. I'm suprised the governments of the world let us play with their spy satellites!

-> AFV News Discussion Board