Overclocking
-> Hardware

#1: Overclocking Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:25 am
    ----
Just wondering if anyone out there does it, Why they do it......How they do it and is your rig stable when doing it? I am currently trying it. I got myself the mother of all after market CPU cooling fans and am overclocking 300 mhz with some good to mixed results.

AMD 3800+ X2 (stock 2000 mhz)
Overclocking to 2310 mhz with the multiplier at 4 giving me 920 mhz on the FSB.

#2: Re: Overclocking Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:49 am
    ----
Hiya Chuck,

Let me begin by saying that I don't do it personally.
However, many people do.

It's simply souping up your p.c., like folks do with cars, to improve its' performance.

I belong to a p.c. building forum with some very good guides on the subject HERE (top three sticky's).

Overclocking too far will make your p.c. unstable and that's the trick; to get the maximum performance while maintaining a useable system.

Overclocking has been said by some to shorten the life of some components, but they should still last a long time. Most overclockers will replace (by upgrade) overclocked components on a fairly regular and frequent basis making this issue null and void for them because they're replaced long before their life-expectancy is up.
This is why you should never buy second hand components without knowing their history; they may be about to roll over and die.

You need to be able to monitor your temperatures and other things which are shown in the guides and I would recommend a programme of backing up your critical data (which we should all do anyway).

#3: Re: Overclocking Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:45 pm
    ----
Good points!
I monitor my temperatures and so far so good. Both of my cores are at 31c after 2 battle scarred hours of world in conflict which is really great. I have not increased the core voltage yet as I was having instability issues when i did that.

I figure if I can get that extra boost and keep my cpu nice and cool..I shouldnt need to upgrade for a while yet. I use socket 939 technology (AMD discontinued it 3 months after I built this rig....sucks to be me) So my upgrade options are limited right now. Wink

#4: Re: Overclocking Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:24 pm
    ----
Simple... Overclocking = if it ain't broke then ya just aint trying hard enough lol

Like cars is a good analogy if your happy driving your bog standard motor with no tweaking then leave well alone. Then there's those that can't help but change this, add that, get the grinder out and trim some off.

I've not played with overclocking until recently and truth be known i don't have a clue about voltages here n there, but i thougbht wtf anyway and tried the Nvidia nTune thingy. Works over 3 hrs to stress and test your components and settles on summat that should run hick-up free.

Still running fine, try it at your own peril i'm not a friend of foe of this stuff, i just help but wonder... What will it really do for my rig and performance.

Confused

#5: Re: Overclocking Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:19 am
    ----
Excellent guide there at that site shades thx Mr. Green

#6: Re: Overclocking Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:49 am
    ----
yw (Guess who can't sleep.... 04:50!!! GEEZE!)

Smile

#7: Re: Overclocking Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:27 pm
    ----
I'm gonna do some 3D mark scores this weekend. I'll let you's all know what I find. Wink

#8: Re: Overclocking Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:16 am
    ----
AAARGH! I dont get much more performance by overclocking. And the stability issues are creeping up so I guess I wont bother. I think my motherboard is the issue I need a delux or platinum model I think, i'm overclocking to 2300mhz only, anymore and I get conflicts.

So there it is,,,,,, you spend your money on new hardware or..you buy high end hardware so you can overclock either way it all costs money. Confused

#9: Re: Overclocking Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:27 am
    ----
no gain without pain ........................... Rolling Eyes

#10: Re: Overclocking Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 pm
    ----
or more money...lol

-> Hardware