Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:15 pm
    ----
P-O,
Saw from your latest "surviving" file that you need a pic of the Fort Knox Comet. Here you go - they're not great, but its what I have...

Neil

#2: Re: Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 pm
    ----
Thanks Neil, I'll include this picture in the file this evening. The next file will show the Matilda tanks, most probably available tomorrow. Do you have any pic of the Matilda from Aberdeen?

P-O

#3: Re: Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm
    ----
Sure, I can get you some. It has an interesting history...

Neil

#4: Re: Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:34 pm
    ----
That's gotta' be in Richardson, right Neil? I don't recall it being so accessable (or uncovered?) when I was there last. Must be moving stuff around over there...

#5: Re: Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:04 pm
    ----
That was back when they were first moving stuff into Richardson - I got some great shots of the Super Sherman that way. They had just dropped it off...

Neil

#6: Re: Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:09 pm
    ----
I found the story of the Matilda from Aberdeen after a quick research on this forum.

"Of course the Ordnance Museum's Matilda has a fairly interesting history. It was lost to the Germans in a battle at Sidi Rezag-Halfaya Pass in November 1941. It was re-marked by the Germans and used as a pill box at the same pass until recaptured by the British after the battle of El Alemein in October 1942. It was then sent to the US as part of reverse Lend-Lease scrap shipments in 1943 and diverted by COL Jarrett to the museum in 1944."

P-O

#7: Re: Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:27 pm
    ----
You can also find it on the USA AFV Register...

Neil

#8: Re: Fort Knox Comet pictures for P-O Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:45 am
    ----
- the_shadock
I found the story of the Matilda from Aberdeen after a quick research on this forum.

"Of course the Ordnance Museum's Matilda has a fairly interesting history. It was lost to the Germans in a battle at Sidi Rezag-Halfaya Pass in November 1941. It was re-marked by the Germans and used as a pill box at the same pass until recaptured by the British after the battle of El Alemein in October 1942. It was then sent to the US as part of reverse Lend-Lease scrap shipments in 1943 and diverted by COL Jarrett to the museum in 1944."

P-O

That's the bare bones of the story. Col Jarret was in Brooklyn NY to recieve a shipment of equipment that he had selected for delivery to his Technical Intelligence group on his trip to North Africa. (I've sometimes wondered which items were in that shipment) He saw the Matilda being unloaded and changed the shipping paperwork to have it included in his shipment rather than ending up in a steel mill. I've always figured that is why it is stripped of gun, transmission, tracks, etc. They only shipped the basic hull back as scrap. On my tours I use Matilda to bring up the whole concept of 'Reverse Lend Lease' I've always had a soft spot for poor Matilda. Probably not much chance of making her complete but she does have an interesting history.

-> AFV News Discussion Board