Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front armor
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front armor Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:45 pm
    ----
Hello, can anyone give me the role of this metal beam, bolted to the front armour of the Littlefield Panther? I've never seen that before.

Also, it seems that the Zimmerit is already going away. In one or 2 years we will hopefully have a nice "combat" patina (I don't really like vehicles which look too new..)

P-O

#2: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front armor Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:19 pm
    ----
To my mind it looks like some sort of temporary cradle/ lifting attachment to protect the lower glacis and give purchase.

Not sure how they'll lift the vehicle to install tracks and perhaps this will assist.
Interesting that the 2 scars on the zimmerit closely match where the 2 flanges are on the temp beam- perhaps they fit the forks on a lift truck?

Bruce

#3: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front ar Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 pm
    ----
Something to use when pushing it is my guess.

#4: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front ar Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:06 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Something to use when pushing it is my guess.

definitely NOT a German fitting ,possibly some aid as mentioned above the zimmerite is not very resistant to damage
dennis

#5: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front ar Author: clausb PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:07 pm
    ----
- jtrowbridge5
definitely NOT a German fitting ,possibly some aid as mentioned above the zimmerite is not very resistant to damage
dennis

If it is not a German fitting, which it might very well not be, what other purpose does the four bolts holding it have? You will find them on all Ausf. D and A Panthers, but they disappear on the Ausf. G.

cbo

#6: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front armor Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:43 pm
    ----
Dave, the mechanic who took the video that is posted on YouTube, told me that the beam is there so they have something to push against with their forklift. If you note the two chips in the zimm above the beam, they are from the forklift. The beam will be removed when they no longer need it. I'll be noting this on my page to help get rid of any confusion.

#7: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front armor Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm
    ----
DING DING DING!!!!!
We have a winner- now what did I win?

Cheers!
Bruce

#8: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front armor Author: clausb PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:15 pm
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
Dave, the mechanic who took the video that is posted on YouTube, told me that the beam is there so they have something to push against with their forklift. If you note the two chips in the zimm above the beam, they are from the forklift. The beam will be removed when they no longer need it. I'll be noting this on my page to help get rid of any confusion.

So what was the original purpose of the bolts? Anyone?

cbo

#9: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front armor Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:34 pm
    ----
- clausb
- toadmanstankpictures

So what was the original purpose of the bolts? Anyone?

cbo

They are for the front mudguards. Brackets on the mudguards are attached to the bolts to help support/stabilize them. The Ausf. G doesn't have them because it's mudguards do not extend as far downwards as the Ausf. D and A's.

#10: Re: Curious metal beam added on Littlefield Panther front armor Author: clausb PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:49 pm
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
They are for the front mudguards. Brackets on the mudguards are attached to the bolts to help support/stabilize them. The Ausf. G doesn't have them because it's mudguards do not extend as far downwards as the Ausf. D and A's.

Obviously!

cbo

-> AFV News Discussion Board