What's different about this M47?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What's different about this M47? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:24 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,

Here is a couple of pictures of some ROK M47's. The one on the right (1st picture) has been modified with an upgrade found on M48's and M60's. I know the pictures are not the best but the clues are there if you look.

Larger Image>ComCentral

Larger Image>ComCentral

Enjoy,

Joe D

#2: Re: What's different about this M47? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:42 am
    ----
I'm going to guess that the optical rangefinder has been replaced with a laser

#3: Re: What's different about this M47? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:02 am
    ----
Nope,

Much older technology, came standard on the M60 when it first came out.

Joe D

#4: Re: What's different about this M47? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:27 am
    ----
Looks to have the "ball hitch" searchlight mounts on the gun mantlet and for storage on the rear.

#5: Re: What's different about this M47? Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:32 am
    ----
Joe:

OK, another guess . . . in this case, I'm going to say the mystery feature is the interrupter bar on the top of the turret, to keep the .50 cal from destroying the searchlight (when it is mounted). On the M60-series, I remember the front bar as being foldable, so that you could lower it down out of the way. The one in back (to protect the searchlight in its stowed position on the [right?] rear of the turret bustle rack) could not be folded down, if I recall correctly. I think that this wouldn't have been a feature on the M48-series until about the M48A2? or M48A3 (I don't have Hunnicutt handy), but most probably would not have been on any M48 models earlier than the M48A2/3 (or the M47 for that matter), since they didn't have searchlights.

DOH!

Well, since I've spelled it out for myself, this M47 sports the mounting lugs for the searchlight as well . . . which would not have been a factory-delivered feature on that tank. Maybe that is what you were really looking for, huh?

Mark

#6: Re: What's different about this M47? Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 am
    ----
Doug beat me to it. I shouldn't have been so worried about spell-check!

Mark

#7: Re: What's different about this M47? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:45 am
    ----
We got a winner !

I took these in 1999. Thought it was pretty neat that they did the whole deal with the stowage mount too. Other than the VSS-1 the tank was pretty much original,

Larger Image>ComCentral
[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10605/thumb_4x%7E0.jpg[/img]Larger Image>ComCentral

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board