Lingle in Hayti MO
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:03 pm
    ----
Here are a couple of shots of the M114 in Hayti MO,

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10605/thumb__36_o_14%5C__30_24__-89_o_44%5C__57_66.jpg[/img] Larger Image>ComCentral

Larger Image>ComCentral

Neil,

This Lingle is located in the City Park at the intersection of East Cleveland and North 3rd Street, +36° 14' 30.24, -89° 44' 57.66. It is right next to the Paul Nicholson VFW Post 6953.

Joe D

#2: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:26 pm
    ----
This Lingle is clearly in need of some TLC! Looks as though the rear hatch is welded shut.

#3: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:06 pm
    ----
It also appears that the vision blocks have been plated over. Does anyone know of any M60A2 'Kibbey' exhibits anywhere?
Russ

#4: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:35 pm
    ----
- Russ_Buchan
Does anyone know of any M60A2 'Kibbey' exhibits anywhere?
Russ

Not that it's very likely to catch on, but let's not even say that...not even in jest. Wink

#5: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:07 pm
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey
- Russ_Buchan
Russ

Not that it's very likely to catch on, but let's not even say that...not even in jest. Wink

Say what? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I, myself am very honored by the jest that everyone here has bestow upon the poor little M-114 C&R by naming it after little, very old me.
I feel it puts me up there next to General G.! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Sgt, Scouts Out!

P.S.
For those who are asking themselfs, "Say What?", just remember what Foghorn, Leghorn always said, "It's a joke son!"

#6: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:45 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey
- Russ_Buchan
Russ

Say what? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I, myself am very honored by the jest that everyone here has bestow upon the poor little M-114 C&R by naming it after little, very old me.
I feel it puts me up there next to General G.! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Roy...

Well, you don't know the A Deuce like I do...it would be a dubious distinction, at best. Laughing

The "Lingle" now...I like that concept!

#7: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:01 pm
    ----
Not that I would deny the esteemed Mr Kibbey of the honor of having the M60A2 named after him but didn't it already have a nickname? I seem to remember it being (unofficially) named 'The Starship'

With the M114 we were rectifying an injustice. The M114 had never been given a name so we took it upon ourselves to bestow one on it.

lets see

Whereas the M114 served quietly on the frontlines of the Cold War, manned by dedicated and almost forgotten soldiers I think it only fitting that the M114 be named for one of those Cold Warriors who did their duty successfully holding back the raging red hordes along the now almost forgotten Iron Curtain. Only through their willingness to persevere in oblivion while most attention was directed to the other side of the world allowed the forces of freedom to defeat the evil empire of the Soviet Union.

Therefor from this day forward let the M114 be known as the Lingle letting Roy A Lingle stand to represent those many who, with him and the M114, defended the European limit of freedom throughout the Cold War

You know I think it sounds pretty good, I know we need to touch it up some. But I think I have finally figured how my Congress Critter can make up for his stupid move several years ago when he let a staff member convince him that he should get Playboy and Penthouse taken out of PXs and BXs. He is still a senior member of the Armed Services commitee. I wonder ... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

#8: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:55 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Not that I would deny the esteemed Mr Kibbey of the honor of having the M60A2 named after him but didn't it already have a nickname? I seem to remember it being (unofficially) named 'The Starship'

No, no...deny him..deny him...he insists upon it!

Greetings from Helsinki...with any luck at all, I may get to stop by Parola tomorrow on the way to Tampere...

#9: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:07 am
    ----
Dear Mr. Kibbey:

Please forgive my premature naming of the M60A2 after you.... It was, indeed, merely a jest in the spirit of naming a vehicle after someone who actually had some piles of experience with it.

Bob Smart has the right idea. Perhaps we can gen up some paperwork to get yer monicker associated with the former "Starship".

For myself, I would not mind having the M38A named the Bucky.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Russ

PS -- Doug, you have my phone number. I have the Lighthouse next week, Mon thru Thurs, give me a call if you are in the SoCal area

#10: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:54 am
    ----
- Russ_Buchan
Dear Mr. Kibbey:
PS -- Doug, you have my phone number. I have the Lighthouse next week, Mon thru Thurs, give me a call if you are in the SoCal area

Oh I wish...alas, I'm still "on the road" in 'Urp and won't be home until late Saturday (if I'm lucky) and have to be in Guadalajara on Wednesday morning.

On the upside, I had a fantastic private tour of Parola, Finland with some interesting pics to share later when I have a chance to download and share my benefactor's stories.

We may have a chance to rendevouz after Mexico, however....

#11: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:29 am
    ----
Not a problem. sir:

I have often rented the old Coast Guard place. Two-hundred-foot cliffs on three sides, and the loudest noise is the Sea lions' barking on the reef buoy.

Ooh-ooh-00h, do show us those cute Finnish Stugs.

I Longshored in 1965 with an old Finnish Longshoreman one day, and he told me of a time in WWII when his CO upbraided his unit for withholding their fire during a Russian assault. His reply was that, as seal hunters, they looked to shoot the black spot of the seal's nose, and had waited until the Russkis got close enough to shoot them in the nose.

He also said that the same officer scolded them for lolly-gagging on the job. The officer said that the Russians outnumbered them by seven to one, and he told the fellow that he had already shot his seven from cover.

This was the same old guy who told me he shot his 20MM AT gun (Solothurn, I think he said,) at a "Kliment Woroshilow" that was stalled with a shot-through track until his ATG crew pecked, round after round, through enough turret armor that the Soviet crew surrendered rather than go through the whole morning with all that noise!

Any of you Curmudgeons In Armor who can find Point Fermin Park in San Pedro are welcome to fall by the Lighthouse (the little one in front of the old one) 1300Hrs Mar 3 thru 1100Hrs Mar 7, and demolish my Old Bushmills Irish whiskey stock, and look for whales and dolphins from the patio.

Password: "Yo Russ! Open Up! I know you're in there!"

See ya,
Russ

#12: Re: Lingle in Hayti MO Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:24 am
    ----
HEY... LOOK WHAT I FOUND TODAY!!!! Mr. Green

I guess the M60A2 IS called the KIBBY.... Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

NOW THEREs THE LINGLE, THE KIBBY, and......um,.....I forgot that name again, you know the PC, Papa Chuck, one-one-three, A piece of sh**,.... screw it, never knew it by anyother name anyway.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board