Panzer salvage in Bulgaria
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:04 pm
    ----
- fitzday
Correct me if i'm wrong, Shadock. These panzers were transfered to the Bulgarian army after the war by the Soviets from stocks of captured panzers. They were used until they could be replaced by Soviet manufactured tanks. They were then dug in on the Bulgarian/Turkish border as improvised pillboxes.

""Bulgaria received some 97 German Panzer IV tanks, about 100 Sturmgeschuetz III assault guns and Jagdpanzer IV tank destroyers when it joined the Nazis in World War II," said museum director Milenov.

Nearly half of these, around 40, were buried as defensive positions along the southeast borders, he said.

A second line of more than 100 Soviet-built T-34 tanks was then added following the 1974 Cyprus crisis. This was when an Athens-sponsored attempt to take control of the Mediterranean island led to Turkish intervention and occupation of about one-third of Cyprus."

http://news.smh.com.au/bulgaria-scrambles-to-rescue-forgotten-german-wwii-tanks/20080222-1ts6.html

Well, you're right there are 17 tanks, the turret which cazn be seen near the JAgdpanzer IV seems to be a T-34/76 turret, not a T-34/85 one.

P-O

#17: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:27 am
    ----
The only German tanks (that I know of) transfered from Soviet capture stocks were the 15 Panther D, A and G:s. I hope that some of these might turn up, damn I'd be happy if ONE would turn up!

#18: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:37 pm
    ----
Any photos of those Panthers in postwar Bulgarian service? I'm intrigued by this.

It's great to see these vehicles on the road to preservation. I'd love to see a Panzer IV make its way to Canada, but not optimistic.

Cheers,

Scott

#19: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: palic PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:31 pm
    ----
Bulgarian Panthers - links:
forum.valka.cz/downloa...p/id/35398
forum.valka.cz/downloa...p/id/35399
forum.valka.cz/downloa...p/id/35400

Czechoslovak (postwar) recovery turretless conversion - links:
forum.valka.cz/downloa...p/id/58181
forum.valka.cz/downloa...p/id/53727
forum.valka.cz/downloa...p/id/28714

Last picture taken from film on railroad accident (1958) - that Panther recovery vehicle was part of equipment of railway "repair and recovery train"... Mr. Green

WHERE HAVE ALL THESE PANTHERS GONE...?

#20: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: fitzday PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:59 pm
    ----
If I understand it right, the Bulgarian forums are saying that the T-34/76 turret is actually off of a soviet gunboat and not a T-34 hull. Does anyone know how you can tell the difference?

www.airgroup2000.com/f...&start=540

#21: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:55 am
    ----
There is news about the Bulgarian Panzers.

vbox7.com/play:fcbc7d21

Takes ages to load, and its in Bulgarian language.

But surely good news.

#22: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:25 pm
    ----
well, it seems that they are preparing some items to display them in museums..
We need a guy able to translate bulgarian language..

Pierre-Olivier

#23: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:39 am
    ----
Dear Sirs,
internet newsletter of the Bulgarian town of Sliven, said:

27th May 2011
Restore the unique tanks in Sliven

German tanks, popular as a Maybach, which is located on the border with Turkey were transported to the repair shop of the tank brigade in Sliven. Unique machines will be restored before being transferred to the military museum.

The technique is extremely valuable for collectors. Because illegal attempt to export abroad of one of the tanks against three people were brought.

In the repair shop in Sliven were brought 11 fully preserved tanks from World War II, as well as parts and domes for a few more chain machinery and artillery turrets.

Among the most valuable tanks, which are pending restoration Jagdpanzer engine of Maybach and T-4. From Jagdpanzer L-48 is reserved only 7 copies worldwide.

After half a century stay underground parts of the are in bad condition. Currently Tracked by remove paint and rust, welded to the damaged dome and the bumper. Ten of the tanks will be restored in a form close to authentic.

Work on the plant will take about a month. After restoration of combat equipment, take it to the museum.

Source:
sliven.tv7.bg/news/356502.html

#24: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:23 pm
    ----
I'm hoping that the bit about the restoration taking a month is wrong!

#25: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:58 pm
    ----
Thank you for translating this!

#26: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:04 am
    ----
New photos:

Stug (from Bulgaria ?)
www.scalemodels-bg.com...&start=930

PzKpfw IV and Jagdpanzer IV
www.scalemodels-bg.com...&start=885

#27: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:09 am
    ----
PzKpfw III turret

www.scalemodels-bg.com...&start=885

#28: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: sil3ntLocation: Poznan, Poland PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 am
    ----
Look like Stug from Riga ...

#29: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 am
    ----
- sil3nt
Look like Stug from Riga ...

Yes it does. That's why I wrote the ? mark

#30: Re: Panzer salvage in Bulgaria Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm
    ----
Well, they've stuck to their timetable for "restoration".
The PzIV looks quite good cosmetically.

-> AFV News Discussion Board