Stryker Video link
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Stryker Video link Author: blair PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:38 am
    ----
shock.military.com/Sho...ent=162910

Thought you guys might like to see this.

#2: Re: Stryker Video link Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:46 am
    ----
Cool! And it didn't tip over! Slightly better quality video at youtube.com/watch?v=41CpIA1Jytk

Question: What MOS is an MGS crewman? Rob? Anyone?

#3: Re: Stryker Video link Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:52 am
    ----
105mm HEP-T ammo for Stryker. Old news?

www.rdecom.army.mil/rd...105mm.html

#4: Re: Stryker Video link Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:59 pm
    ----
Impressive, but it's still only a 105mm gun . . .

#5: Re: Stryker Video link Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:30 pm
    ----
Hi A2! Hi Folks!

- A2_Prius

It's only a 105mm gun? When I see a MGS, I see an upgrade from the Jeep with a M40 106mm RR and a basic load of six rounds.

I would think that is a good thing!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Stryker Video link Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:58 pm
    ----
Please don't misunderstand my comment: I have a lot of respect for the 105mm. But isn't it conceivable for the MGS to brush up somewhere against a 125mm-armed Russian-export MBT?

- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi A2! Hi Folks!

- A2_Prius

It's only a 105mm gun? When I see a MGS, I see an upgrade from the Jeep with a M40 106mm RR and a basic load of six rounds.

I would think that is a good thing!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: Stryker Video link Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 pm
    ----
A2_Prius, I think at that point, the speed of the MGS would become its best weapon, as in: get the hell out of there!

#8: Re: Stryker Video link Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:39 am
    ----
Hi A2! Hi Folks!

- A2_Prius

But isn't it conceivable for the MGS to brush up somewhere against a 125mm-armed Russian-export MBT?

On any day, yes.
However I think the idea is that when a Stryker BCT is deployed into an area where that level of firepower is KNOWN to be available that the M1134 ATGM vehicles will be pushed forward with the idea that they find and engage first. The M1128 MGS is not going to be out and about like a tank platoon looking for anything and everything. They will be working with an Infantry platoon and if a 125mm MBT is found without any warning, it will be at close range where AT-4s will be the primary tank killing weapon.

Again, I am thinking in terms of a Jeep, or the old M728 Mule, with a 106mm RR running into a MBT vis a Stryker with a 105mm. Both weapons if they hit first and in the right spot CAN STOP or destory just about any MBT. I would rather have that 105 cannon than a 106 RR. While that tank crew is looking at and working at taking out the MGS, the Infantry with their AT-4s will be taking up positions to take it out.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: Stryker Video link Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:56 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,

The MGS has the ability to take on tanks, obviously, but like Roy said, that's not it's job. That being said, the latest 105mm APFSDS and MPAT rounds are not spitballs, and are a very real threat to any armor, including current tanks. Munitions Tech has always been overlooked by a lot of folks when looking at capability, everyone only see's the weapons size. Current 105mm Guns (M68 or L7 class) are not the same as what they were when they first came out. Certain current 105mm Ammo cannot be fired by earlier 105mm guns (M60, M1 etc) because of advances in manufacturing. Even though they are the same gun. Also another advantage is it can shoot on the move like the M1, unlike a Bradley with a TOW.

Roy,

Your description of the Infantry with AT-4's conjures up images from National Geographic of the Caveman hunting and tracking the Mastedon. It is a very inspiring sight to see, even in training. (Another NTC story). Today our Infantry has a much better and effective weapon for dealing with Tanks. "Javelin". Fire and forget too with a much better standoff range. Guess who was one of the first Divisions to get this? Yep, the 82nd.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board